Office Depot Lie to Customers About Laptop Stock

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
The spiffs, PPs, TDS, cost too much and provide too little. If these corporations want to make money on the paperwork, then the paperwork ought to be worth something. E.g. like real insurance, how about accident coverage (spills, drops, etc.) for 10% on the price of a laptop for 3 years? Get the actuaries to do some number crunching and provide something meaningful.

G

In 14 years with Best Buy and Office Depot combined, I have never seen or authenticated a story of any DM or higher manager instruct or even insinuate that an employee lie to a customer. I have been a manager in the stores as well as corporate and know that Office Depot culture is never to fire anyone for not hitting any quota. This is not to say that many have fallen, even under my axe for not offering services properly to every customer every time. I for one believe that every customer deserves to know the truth about the value that PPP and services in general offer. If the customer says no, that is great for us as we have educated the customer. If they say yes, that is great as well and we believe that the customer purchase has been enhanced. I also know that about 30% of us Americans do see value in PPP's and continue to buy them....including myself. I dont buy them on every item, but my preferences are different than yours. This is why I have always asked my people to educate rather than sell. You are gonna need paper some time, and ink does not last forever, and the factory warrnaty is LIMITED so I want you to knwo the facts when you buy. The fact is that pressure is never needed to attain the goals of Office Depot. Pressure to sell is often contribed within. Bad managers that manage in unethical ways will eventually go away as this practice will always catch up with you. I stand with my OD bretheren that have give a big chunk of our professional lives to this company. Please do not let the isolated words of disgruntled employees in poorly managed environments taint the great company we know and love. Office Depot....What you need...What you need to know....We still pride ourselves in the service we provide our customers. Tough economic times will continue to bring out the worst in some, and the best in others. Right now we can clearly see some of both in Office Depot. I rest with this: If you see something unethical happening, bring it to the attention of the Store Manager. If this is not satisfactory, hit the web site and contact corporate. Trust me these things are handeled swiftly.

G

So many people try to bring back laptops, because something they did was not covered by the manufacturer's warranty, that's why they sell the guarantee. Hundreds, of not thousands of times I have talked to a customer about a PC or a laptop, only to find out that the only one we have left is a display unit. It has nothing to do with whether they purchase the PPP with it-we CAN NOT sell the display unit if its on sale. You can always walk over to another associate and ask if you can check the SKU on a computer...it was an isolated problem, and you cant say that everybody is doing it. I only sell things that they need. you need a laptop that wont move? dont get a case, but get something to keep the dust off. Got a kid? Get Accidental Damage. Im not trying to push items down your throat, Im trying to look out for you. There is only so much we can do for you, after all, its your money to spend.

G

I don't suggest you fake interest in all the extras and then back out at the last minute. At least if you intend to shop there in the future. You're wasting that employee's time and assisting in putting their job in danger. Be upfront about it. I know that when customers do that to me, I make certain to give their next electronics purchase a good solid drop before taking it out for them, crossing my fingers that it takes a shit after the return policy is up. What goes around comes around. Or, don't shit where you eat.
The more I think about it, it really makes me laugh how customers attempt to pull the: "I shop here all the time and spend lots of money here." When they have a problem with something outside of the return policy and want you to make an exception just for them. But you can't choose not to sell "Joe Mooch" that screaming deal on a laptop (at a complete loss) knowing that it's the only time he comes into your store.
I hate retail and I hate people in general the more I work in it. People on both sides can be scumbags, each creating more of them on the other side with their scumbag behavior.
I try to get people what they need without being forceful about the extras, but I'm doing my damned job and getting chewed out about the numbers and all the while getting jerkoff customers treating me like shit and trying to hustle me in some shape or form.
The customer is -not- always right, is almost never right and buyers are most certainly liars.

Status
Not open for further replies.