Question Office Network goes down suddenly and returns to normal after restart, but the problem returns after a few hours ?

Jun 13, 2023
I work in a big office. Network mentioned here contains routers, firewall, switches, server, telephones and other end users. And an issue is going around with the computer network of office. Problem can be better elaborated as this: Everything works fine for sometime and then suddenly the telephone lines in the network don't work and then the server. And if we restart the whole network, then everything seems fine as everything goes back to normal. And after few hours or so, same issue of server and other devices connected there not working as they might not be getting the IP from system. I make 7-8 restarts every single day to make system working. Can anybody suggest me, what wrong in the network? Thank you in advance.

I am going to hope you are not the IT guy responsible for the network. This requires quite a bit of detailed knowledge of how everything is setup. Your description is way too generic for a forum answer.
It can be anything but if things do not get IP it tends to be related to DHCP but unlike a home network DHCP function is many times done but a server or firewall rather than the internet router.

I would first talk to your IT guy, if you are the IT guy then you have lots to learn I suspect.

Ralston18

Titan
And I will ask if you or the applicable IT guy has checked any of the router logs?

If such logs are available and enabled....

Likewise for any other logs (server, firewall) as well.

If the logs of any sort are present and not enabled, then enable the logs. Watch and read the logs after each incident. Pay attention to entries just before or at the time(s) the network etc. goes down.

And, as an interim process, at the next required restart, restart with as minimal number of devices as possible., Determine if the problem continues.

If the problem does not continue, then add devices back one at a time allowing time between each device. Discover if one particular device or a certain number of devices cause the network to again stop working. Could still be something else....

If the problem continues, then the issue is likely within the set of devices that were initially restarted.

The restart process will require time and effort and must be very methodical. Plan it out and keep notes for every incident.

Keep in mind that the current situation is certainly causing lots of lost time and effort.

= = = =

"Big office".

How "big" is"big": does anyone in IT have a diagram/map showing all devices and connections?

Along with IP addresses (static and DHCP) and MACs? Device names, make, model, end user(s), shared devices, etc..

Including power and communications.

How well, if at all, is the network documented?

= = = =

7 or 8 restarts a day is roughly one per hour. Take a closer look at the time patterns and then look for other actions or events that match that pattern.

Starting with the logs. And documented information about the network including devices and configurations.

If no documentation then that is something that IT needs to do - immediately. Starting with a network map and traced connections that have been verified.

Not only "lots to learn" but "much more to know".....

Hopefully that documentation will lead to not only "what is wrong" but how to fix what is wrong, and do so in a manner that prevents "what is wrong" from happening again.

Agree: not a Forum question.

However, with more details and background it is very likely that someone here can offer further ideas and suggestions.

Including calling in network professionals.

Reactions: tiwarisuraj729
Jun 13, 2023
And I will ask if you or the applicable IT guy has checked any of the router logs?

If such logs are available and enabled....

Likewise for any other logs (server, firewall) as well.

If the logs of any sort are present and not enabled, then enable the logs. Watch and read the logs after each incident. Pay attention to entries just before or at the time(s) the network etc. goes down.

And, as an interim process, at the next required restart, restart with as minimal number of devices as possible., Determine if the problem continues.

If the problem does not continue, then add devices back one at a time allowing time between each device. Discover if one particular device or a certain number of devices cause the network to again stop working. Could still be something else....

If the problem continues, then the issue is likely within the set of devices that were initially restarted.

The restart process will require time and effort and must be very methodical. Plan it out and keep notes for every incident.

Keep in mind that the current situation is certainly causing lots of lost time and effort.

= = = =

"Big office".

How "big" is"big": does anyone in IT have a diagram/map showing all devices and connections?

Along with IP addresses (static and DHCP) and MACs? Device names, make, model, end user(s), shared devices, etc..

Including power and communications.

How well, if at all, is the network documented?

= = = =

7 or 8 restarts a day is roughly one per hour. Take a closer look at the time patterns and then look for other actions or events that match that pattern.

Starting with the logs. And documented information about the network including devices and configurations.

If no documentation then that is something that IT needs to do - immediately. Starting with a network map and traced connections that have been verified.

Not only "lots to learn" but "much more to know".....

Hopefully that documentation will lead to not only "what is wrong" but how to fix what is wrong, and do so in a manner that prevents "what is wrong" from happening again.

Agree: not a Forum question.

However, with more details and background it is very likely that someone here can offer further ideas and suggestions.

Including calling in network professionals.
Thank you for the reply. I am new to this office and the one who did the networking task was also newcomer in this field hence he didn't make any of documentation work. Also the wiring done is also messy. After reading your suggestions, I think the best decision that I would make is to call someone who is professional in this field.

Jun 13, 2023
I am going to hope you are not the IT guy responsible for the network. This requires quite a bit of detailed knowledge of how everything is setup. Your description is way too generic for a forum answer.
It can be anything but if things do not get IP it tends to be related to DHCP but unlike a home network DHCP function is many times done but a server or firewall rather than the internet router.

I would first talk to your IT guy, if you are the IT guy then you have lots to learn I suspect.
Yes sir, you got it right. I am not the IT guy but the company has given me the duty to solve this issue so I tried to seek out for help. Now, rather than thinking about solving the problem on my own, I will take help from the professional guy. And thank you for the ideas.

If you pay a professional maybe pay him a bit more to let you tag along and have him teach you some of the basic stuff. You at least will know the basics of how your equipment is connected and for example where your DHCP server is.

Once things are setup and working correctly and there is documentation on how things were installed it should be possible for you to continue to maintain it.

This is a hard issue for a company that is say more than 50 people but less than a couple hundred. It tends to be too expensive to keep IT guys who have can do everything from say replace a keyboard on a pc to updating server database code. Larger companies hire multiple guys or more commonly now days just pay a company like HP, Dell, etc to run their IT stuff.

One common thing that can cause a issue like you have is some employee wants more ports at his desk so he brought in a home router and plugged it in to your network incorrectly. This can take down the largest company but if you knew where to unplug cable to isolate sections of the building you could track it down faster. Note professional networking switches and routers have feature that prevent this but again this takes a bit of study to know how to set this up.

Reactions: Ralston18

Ralston18

Titan
And draw that network diagram beforehand. Put some time and effort into doing so.

Trace wires, label things. Crawl around, use a flashlight. A small mirror can be handy. Look for device make, model, and version information., Make note of any cable and jack markings.

You may, for example, discover that employee with a "rogue" router.

No need for the diagram to be a work of art and probably you will need to redraw the diagram a few times.

If possible get copies of the office floor plan(s). Use colored pencils and start diagramming.

The diagram will help you understand more and probably help the network pro with respect to some understanding of the overall network and devices.

May save some costs if the the pro is charging by the hour.

For example, the pro may want to see something: that is good. Even better if you do not have to go looking for that "something".

Welcome to IT. :)

TRENDING THREADS