News Official Raspberry Pi Support Arrives For Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime

SonoraTechnical

Reputable
May 28, 2020
I have a Raspberry Pi 4B running NodeRed and some very heavy flows for measurement and control . I think I'll stress test it by adding this capability to see how it all works together...

Feb 22, 2021
This will be a software DRM implementation (Widevine Level 3) which often means SD-only, or (sometimes) 720p. No 1080p, UHD, or HDR.

This is because software DRM is easy to crack.

SonoraTechnical

Reputable
May 28, 2020
that's fine.... my RaspberryPi4Bs are operating with the offical 800x480 touch display..... ;) Again, I'm just curious to really stress test the CPU and OS w/ my complex NodeRED installation and streaming media playback....

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I understand these will play (local) video and low quality YouTube in an acceptable way. I wonder where they are going to magic the oomph to run (even HD) titles along with their player?

Feb 22, 2021
The rpi 4 has a fabulous little hardware video decoder that can do 1080p60 H.264 or 4kp60 HEVC in real-time with zero CPU. This is really great!

I don't see VP9 acceleration, but that would mostly matter for YouTube, and the software decoder is quite fast so that might not matter.

These premium services will mostly use H.264 anyway.

Sep 3, 2021
Glad to be able to stream everything now but Hulu is still giving me the "update your browser" error when trying to watch videos. Anyone had this issue, know of any fix? I've seen so many articles saying that all the major streaming services would work on the rpi4 (including Hulu) but no one has mentioned this issue..