ogitech Will Continue PC Gaming Support Despite Cuts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I have a Logitech wireless 2.4ghz mouse and a Logitech media 600 keyboard. I have them for 3 years i think if not more. The thing that it speaks is quality product.

I drop my keyboard at list once a day(got used to not carrying if it falls since i know it won't break. Sometimes i grab the wire by mistake with my feet and it falls down.

On the mouse there is some rubber ware but that is expected to happen over time.

If Logitech keeps making quality products will always have a good market share. Bought Logitech branded products because of quality, same goes for my friends.

G

I really like Logitech. I've never had a problem with their stuff, EVER. I'm typing on a 10 year old keyboard and the keys still work like day 1. I hope with the future gaming consoles being closer to a PC environment that PC gaming will reclaim its throne and Logitech can recover.

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I made the mistake of buying a razer mmo mouse, the thing broke after about a year of use. It was a common issue i found all over the internet so it was an inherent design flaw. I moved to the logitech G600 mmo mouse and I'm loving it. So far its a solid mouse.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I have stood by logictech for a long time, I like there darkfield mice, but they are not worth $50-$100. And now that so many laptops, and some desktops have bluetooth....

I have been looking for a blue tooth, full size keyboard that is also LED backlit like alienware keyboards (with color changing LED')s so you pick the color you want....... where you don't need a seperate keyboard for every LED color out there.

And the fact that they don't make any mechanical keyboards with all those features..... ( I will say that that is onething Alienware has done right...... their backlit keyboards are the best in low light/ at night.... Just make a mechanical blue tooth version now.

Hate to hear they are ditching the universal remote market. The Harmony One was the best ever. But God help you if you ever need the rechargeable battery replaced. The replacement for the H1, the Touch, is crap. Horrible design, and worse ergonomics.

However, for those like myself who have long loved Logitech's gaming steering wheels (my latest being a G27), this is the writing on the wall. I doubt they will invest in R&D on a replacement for the G27. Mine is 3 years old now and will not last forever. Logitech will likely be a buyout prospect within a couple of years.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I think their remote line was a dieing bread..... I mean, my android phone is a full touch screen and has the remote software on it. Logic would charge consumers $1000 for a remote the size, quality, full color 5 inch touch screen, etc....... that is why I never bought their remotes.... over priced for what they do.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I think their remote line was a dieing bread..... I mean, my android phone is a full touch screen and has the remote software on it. Logic would charge consumers $1000 for a remote the size, quality, full color 5 inch touch screen, etc....... that is why I never bought their remotes.... over priced for what they do.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I'll miss the Harmony remotes the most. The problem is they all but abandoned the traditional form factor for stupid touch tablet-like gimmicks. I just replaced my aging 676 (some buttons started failing after 7 years of use) with a supposedly more modern 650. The button layout has gone all haywire...

Well, if they exit both consoles and PCs, what are they producing? :D.

Since im a PC gamer, i dont mind this that much, but its always sad when a company you actually like has problems.

I will be showing my support by getting the G27 in the near Future!

However, i miss the older versions of the G series, like the G3 or the G11 (currently using them, but are slowly degrading).

I do not personally like that much their new mice models (G300,400,500,700).

But that driving wheel... gotta love that one!

The G500 mouse is great. The G35 headset is great. My harmony remotes are great.

If people knew how easy it is to set up a harmony remote, they'd buy in for sure, but not at the $200+ price point for the touch screen editions that logitech seems to be pushing lately. I picked up a Harmony 700 when it went on sale for $60 and with it's good old buttons and no touch screen, it replaces up to 6 remotes. I have only one remote for my entire entertainment center. I had a Harmony 600 before that and another Harmony (can't remember the model) before that. I've been using these remotes for years. Once you start using these remotes, it's hard to go back to picking up a different remote for everything in your entertainment center. It's funny to go to other poeple's houses and see 5 remotes on their coffee tables. I put all other remotes in storage. The 700 recharges over USB.

Too bad logitech is getting rid of this business. Maybe they focused on trying to sell a $200-$400 version of their remote (ie Harmony One) a little too much. It also seems they never advertised much. They could sell this part of the company to someone who might advertise and focus on the higher volume products.

Logitech doesn't seem to do much advertising at all for that matter. They do make good products, though.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Logitech's innovation in the Harmony universal remote line went sideways a while ago:

They abandoned macros. The older 880 and 890 had them. The newer, "more advanced" models don't. An activity a macro, in spite of what their forum posters like to assert.

In spite of excellent potential, their wifi advancements stopped with the 890 and 1100. They could have instead invested into Z-wave or some other home automation signaling technology to create a truly universal remote that could change the scene while it changed the media.

They completely ignored the opportunity to integrate with a PC (or HTPC) to gain more powerful control over multiple devices. Why rely on the device to manage state, button assignments, etc. when all of that can be managed on a PC with more power and more integration capabilities? They already HAD a RF receiver for devices such as keyboards and mice; why not extend that to remotes, and put the control and multi-device state management software on the PC?

They completely ignored the opportunity to present media feedback on remotes. Way back in 2005, Windows MCE had an API that let a remote device do such things as indicate what media was playing, for how long, etc. SoundGraph used that with their iMon HTPC devices for years. Was Logitech simply that in-the-dark, or did they lack the inspiration, or was it a $ issue? The difference between what the 1100 was, and what it could have been, was apparently never forgiven by the market.

There are other URC companies. When my logitech 880 and 900 wear out, or I can no longer use the remote management website, I'll have to try one of those other companies' products. I also have a RC app for my Android that works over wifi. And it works ok for what it does, but it doesn't control other devices, doesn't handle state, is not very configurable, and is far more cumbersome to use than my Harmony remotes. I like my Harmony remotes, but believe that Logitech did this to themselves by failing to innovate in that space.

Status
Not open for further replies.