Oh Snap! New HP CEO Comes From Oracle Rival

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
"Léo is a strategic thinker with a passion for technology, wide-reaching global
experience and proven operational discipline – exactly what we were looking for in
a CEO," said Robert Ryan, lead independent director of the Board.

Nothing like a slap-in-the-face to Hurd lmao!

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
He is German, this should be very interesting. Not having an American run the company will take it in new, unforeseen directions. Directions like respecting their employees?

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I don't know why people think Germans relate to quality in everything. Their cars have horrible electrical systems (and they don't seem to factor in difficulty in working on them, in the design), and they aren't a major player in computers - software or hardware, compared to the U.S. .

They make excellent mechanical things, though. I only buy German cars (despite their incredibly poor electrical ability) because I love the way they handle, but that doesn't mean they are better than Americans at anything related to computers. Also, the Prussian culture, which symbolized and in a real way was the pinnacle of efficiency and discipline, is largely gone in today's Germany.

In fact, their tradition of making overly complicated things, that have problems for just that reason, doesn't bode well. On top of this, SAP has been getting slapped around by Oracle for many years.

I wouldn't make too much of this. The likelihood of this man being better than Hurd is very low, simply because Hurd did an amazing job in a short period of time. He's a hard act to follow from a stockholder's perspective. That's a tough job to take.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
LOL so HP gets a man that was for all intensive purposes fired! (the board did not renew his contract) and Oracle gets a man that made HP blosom under his wing?!?! im thinking HP got the realy short end of the stick on this one... what are they using a dart board to pick out CEOs now??

G

The one that most folks are overlooking is the acquisition of Ray Lane as the non executive chairman. So Lane came from Oracle, where apparently he wasn't favored by Ellison, and Apotheker came from SAP, a long-time Oracle rival, and considering that HP is the second largest customer that Oracle has..... this could get really interesting.

Financial managers loved Hurd, but the folks who drive innovation hated him. Why? He's a one trick pony. His only strategy is to cut heads and budgets to make more profit. Not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but when you cut to the point where you're damaging your customer relationships, and have culled all innovation? Yes, his time to leave HP was about 18 months overdue.

So now the new management has to deal with a (excuse the pun ) Horde of Hurdites at the top, and an employee base ready to jump ship at the first offer. It's quite a challenge, and it'll be interesting to see how it all works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS