[SOLVED] Ok To OC RAM past 3200MHz For i7 11700k?

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I see the fastest RAM allowed for this CPU is 3200MHz. Does that mean I cannot OC RAM with base speed of 3200MHz to speeds above 3200MHz?

Thanks.

Solution
I asked about OC not if it is possible, but if the CPU will run properly, as Intel says base 3200Mhz is the limit. Does it sound like goin above that thru OC should work?

specs below. Not sure on the PSU. Pretty high wattage, but not sure the quality of it.

Thanks

MOBO - msi z590 Pro Wifi
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB 288-Pin DDR4

[looking to maybe buy the
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 - very inexpensive so not sure its quality]
The only way your going to find out how the cpu and the rest of the parts will react to a higher ram speed is to try it.

Even if you can bump the speed don't expect much of a bump in perf.

Lutfij

Titan
You can overclock pretty much anything, if you know what you're doing. As for rams, they are generally capable of overclocking but the quality of the ram will dictate how ell the overclock can and will be. You could probably be able to tighten the timings while leaving the advertised DDR4-3200MHz speeds intact while it's also possible that you could have loose timings but chase a higher frequency number.

What is the make and model of your ram kit, the motherboard and your PSU? Also, it's a good idea to make sure your motherboard's BIOS is on the latest version.

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I asked about OC not if it is possible, but if the CPU will run properly, as Intel says base 3200Mhz is the limit. Does it sound like goin above that thru OC should work?

specs below. Not sure on the PSU. Pretty high wattage, but not sure the quality of it.

Thanks

MOBO - msi z590 Pro Wifi

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 - very inexpensive so not sure its quality]

Thanks

MOBO - msi z590 Pro Wifi

The only way your going to find out how the cpu and the rest of the parts will react to a higher ram speed is to try it.

Even if you can bump the speed don't expect much of a bump in perf.

Solution