Ok to uninstall programs from SSD

allewyn

Honorable
Sep 28, 2018
Can I uninstall programs from my new Samsung SSD because they are also on my HDD right now? Both drives work properly. In other words, can I keep programs on the HDD for continued use and remove them from the SSD

Solution

Verify.
Be absolutely sure the system boots up from the new drive on its own, with the old drive physically disconnected.
Assuming this is so...

Reconnect and boot up.
Open Disk Management.
There, you should see all physical drives in the system.
Identify which is the old one.
Right click, and DELETE each partition on that old drive.
no you cannot because the programs are pointed to being on the same disk as your OS. however you can uninstall and reinstall your programs and during the install you can set them to install on your HDD but they would run slower then they would if they were on your SSD drive

allewyn

Honorable
Sep 28, 2018
Ok, good answer. Now, can I remove them from my HDD to get rid of systems files and leave only programs and data on the HDD Wouldn't that be the same as partially wiping the disk? Never mind. I have ten times the space on the HDD that I do on the SSD. Oh well.

USAFRet

Titan

On whichever drive is no longer the actual OS drive, you should wipe that drive completely.
Not bits and pieces of it. ALL of it...all partitions.

allewyn

Honorable
Sep 28, 2018
Ok, that's what I've heard but I have no steps for doing that. I'm new to this and would need someone to tell me. Is formatting that drive the way or is there another?

USAFRet

Titan

Verify.
Be absolutely sure the system boots up from the new drive on its own, with the old drive physically disconnected.
Assuming this is so...

Reconnect and boot up.
Open Disk Management.
There, you should see all physical drives in the system.
Identify which is the old one.
Right click, and DELETE each partition on that old drive.

Solution