Okay guys I think this is the build, someone look over please.

Mike_187

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
Processor- Intel Core i5-4460 LGA 1150 CPU - BX80646I54460

MOBO-
Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 LGA 1150 Z97 HDMI 2-Way CrossFire ATX Motherboard b

Graphics Card- MSI Computer Graphics Card GTX 960 2GD5T OC

Tower- Thermaltake Versa H22 CA-1B3-00M1NN-00 Mid-tower Computer Chassis (Black)

Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST1000DM003)

Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

EVGA 500 W1 80+, 500W Continuous Power, 3 Year Warranty Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2

So I want to use this for gaming I will not be overclocking now because this is my first build and I plan on upgrading in a few years just getting my feet wet now. Any advice?

Solution

CX series Corsair PSU's are ok for a basic system, however when pushed they tend to fail. We see a lot of issues with them here on this site mostly when people add GPU's to their computer.

The XFX I recommended is still far better, and being that you will be running a GTX 960 on your system, its a much safer choice.

utgotye

Admirable
You will not be overclocking because the CPU is locked, thus making the Z97 chipset a waste of money unless you either need/want the features or intend to upgrade to a 4690K or 4790K at a later date.

Assuming you have decent airflow the stock cooler should be more than adequate for that build, given the aforementioned locked CPU.

Mike_187

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

what kind of MOBO should I purchase then?

Mike_187

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

Noted. That power supply is double the price, is it really that much better?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yes it is, but it shouldn't be double the price, where are you buying from?

Mike_187

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

Amazon has it listed for $61, newegg for $58, EVGA 500 is $34 on Amazon

SKIPPY PB

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015

One thats cheaper. The B or H motherboard i believe aren't set up to overclock. I bought a Z87 mobo and just updated the bios so I could run my haswell 4790 properly. I got it for $20 because it was yesterdays tech.

Those ASUS DVD drives suck if thats that standard cheap one everyone gets. Mine is a pain in the ass, doesn't read crappy cheap DVD discs, makes noise, but in general it does its job. I don't really use CD's all that much and for stuff it gives me a problem with I just use my laptop to get the ISO.

A 3 year warranty on the PSU you will probably be alright. I don't know if they have a history with taking out other components when they fail though.

Mike_187

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

What about this MOBO? ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Mike_187

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

I believe it, how about this instead?
Corsair CX600 CP-9020048-US 600W Power Supply

SKIPPY PB

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015

Flame incoming. I have to say I like mine and reports don't show them eating up other components when they fail like cheap chinese knock offs. I'm not well liked on this topic though. I don't believe the XFX or seasonic ones are that much more than the average MSRP of the CX line though.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

CX series Corsair PSU's are ok for a basic system, however when pushed they tend to fail. We see a lot of issues with them here on this site mostly when people add GPU's to their computer.

The XFX I recommended is still far better, and being that you will be running a GTX 960 on your system, its a much safer choice.

Solution
Might be worth getting a 4gb GPU, while 2gb is perfectly fine, the extra head room might come in handy later on. This one maybe? i think its about the same price as the one you listed

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487154&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

HX and AX are good, but this is in a FAR higher price class than the OP is looking at.

SKIPPY PB

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
Do overclockable products yield higher resale value? I feel as though a z motherboard would hold its value better than a non overclockable motherboard. As well as K and non-k CPU's. If anything price aside I feel as if there is higher demand for the overclockable stuff. Every 14 year olds forced induction set up for their rig. Plus if OP decides to upgrade with the same socket it might not be a bad idea to go that direction.

p.s. I thread jacked with those two PSU's xD. I might grab one next time there's a bunch of spending cash burning a whole in my pocket.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Unless you're selling in the first couple years, resale on most PC stuff is bunk except for some occasional things.

Anyway, should take this to a new thread, threadjacking is frowned upon here.