Old audio card in ISA slot doesn't work

It works fine in WIN98 SE but not in newly installed XP. This card is a
dinosaur and there's no info for it on google. Is there a way to use the 98
drivers in XP?

No, you'll have to either find Windows XP or Windows 2000 drivers for it.
If there aren't any, it's time to consider purchasing a newer soundcard.

Try at:
http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Primal Oooze" <primeooze@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It works fine in WIN98 SE but not in newly installed XP. This card is a
> dinosaur and there's no info for it on google. Is there a way to use the
> 98
> drivers in XP?

Byte

You probably mean the soundcard. Some manufacturers have updated
drivers at their website for old soundcards. If you cannot find one for XP,
see if they have one for Windows2000 (2K), quite often they will work.
Win98 was DOS based and XP is not. Without more info on your soundcard,
info assistance will be very limited.
--
XP-WNP
Some days you're the windshield.

"Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You probably mean the soundcard. Some manufacturers have updated
> drivers at their website for old soundcards. If you cannot find one for
XP,
> see if they have one for Windows2000 (2K), quite often they will work.
> Win98 was DOS based and XP is not. Without more info on your soundcard,
> info assistance will be very limited.
> --
> XP-WNP
> Some days you're the windshield.
> Some days you're the bug.

The card is a ESS audio drive 1688f.
I spent a couple more hours searching for drivers (this time with corrected
card info) and, although there are plenty for all other windows op systems,
there doesn't seem to be one for xp or 2000.
Last ditch, there is a function on xp that helps programs designed for other
os's to work with xp. I can't find it, but have heard about it. Any chance
that might work?

Malke

Primal Oooze wrote:

> "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> You probably mean the soundcard. Some manufacturers have updated
>> drivers at their website for old soundcards. If you cannot find one
>> for
> XP,
>> see if they have one for Windows2000 (2K), quite often they will
>> work.
>> Win98 was DOS based and XP is not. Without more info on your
>> soundcard, info assistance will be very limited.
>> --
>> XP-WNP
>> Some days you're the windshield.
>> Some days you're the bug.
>
> The card is a ESS audio drive 1688f.
> I spent a couple more hours searching for drivers (this time with
> corrected card info) and, although there are plenty for all other
> windows op systems, there doesn't seem to be one for xp or 2000.
> Last ditch, there is a function on xp that helps programs designed for
> other os's to work with xp. I can't find it, but have heard about it.
> Any chance that might work?

You are thinking of Compatibility Mode and that is for programs, not
drivers. A PCI sound card can cost as little as $15usd. Just go buy a
new one and install it in place of the ISA card.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

PCI Cards starting from $7.49 + shipping.
'NewEgg' (http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Category.asp?Category=36)
My question to the OP would be; why use an Isa card that will take a
whole Irq, instead of a Pci card that can use Irq sharing via Pci?
Not to mention the incompatability of the drivers for the Isa card and
XP.
Just wondering,
Treeman

--