[SOLVED] Old bios version

Oct 7, 2021
I have a ROG GL703GS and I need the old bios version (310) as Windows update upgraded my bios to 314 automatically. Asus recently removed all the versions before 311 from the their download center. Does anybody know some archive that store old bios files or some other way to get it? I already know how to downgrade.

Solution
@Rutherford-
The bios update that locks out CPU voltage control also locks out the turbo ratio adjusters. That is like kicking a person when they are already down.

For CPU speed control, try adjusting the Speed Shift Max value in the TPL window. Make sure Speed Shift is checked. Maybe someday you will be able to use different Speed Shift Max values for each profile.

Check out Notebook Review. There are more laptop owners that hang out there that might have saved a backup copy of the 310 bios file.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might I ask why you want to go to an older BIOS version? You're advised to have the latest BIOS version, even more so when you're working with Windows 10 and above. if it's for undervolting, you should use ThrottleStop to achieve that as opposed to Intel's XTU.

Just as an added info, makers of devices will often remove older BIOS versions when they identify them to be more harm than good. The fact that Asus is doing it is not to save server storage space/money/resources but to avoid any issues with their hardware that you've invested in.

Oct 7, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might I ask why you want to go to an older BIOS version? You're advised to have the latest BIOS version, even more so when you're working with Windows 10 and above. if it's for undervolting, you should use ThrottleStop to achieve that as opposed to Intel's XTU.

Just as an added info, makers of devices will often remove older BIOS versions when they identify them to be more harm than good. The fact that Asus is doing it is not to save server storage space/money/resources but to avoid any issues with their hardware that you've invested in.

I am using throttlestop for cpu clock frequency control. I had multiple profiles set up in which I could control the boost limit in an instant (2.2-base clock, 2.7, 3.3 and 4.0 - max boost clock). After the update, it looks like they have locked out the turbo control. So I can run it on the base clock by disabling turbo or run it on max turbo (4.0) which shoots the temp up to 93c. I'd much rather control the frequency than undervolt, it hasn't shown any result in the past for me. I have previously downgraded from 311 to 310 when I found out the locked the turbo and this time windows update to 314 automatically so I need the 310 file.

Edit - The 310 was a perfectly stable version, been running it for 3 years without any issues at all and they locked undervolting too in 314. fml

Last edited:
@Rutherford-
The bios update that locks out CPU voltage control also locks out the turbo ratio adjusters. That is like kicking a person when they are already down.

For CPU speed control, try adjusting the Speed Shift Max value in the TPL window. Make sure Speed Shift is checked. Maybe someday you will be able to use different Speed Shift Max values for each profile.

Check out Notebook Review. There are more laptop owners that hang out there that might have saved a backup copy of the 310 bios file.

Reactions: Rutherford-
Solution
Oct 7, 2021
@Rutherford-

Thank you for the help. I am running it at a constant 3.0 now.