News Old Bug Makes AMD's 7950X Appear to Run at 6.3 GHz

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
I was complaining about this issue earlier this week in a thread on Toms. Though for me the issue cropped up under load, mostly, I did hit some high frequencies when idling as well which I found confusing. Video play back and games where the big offenders for me. I "hit" 6.439 GHz when playing Hogwarts Legacy and 6.217 GHz on Spider-man. And with video playback I was hitting 6.273 GHz on my X670E Taichi with a 7950X. Its a curious bug though for sure.

Reactions: Makaveli

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
Ryzen crash/ ryzen bug... I have to disable all power management and a ftpm to get system stable not perfectly. Still locking up and crash
as usual with your other issues with the amd based systems, part of the problem could just be your own fault. i have 4 different ryzen based comps here, NONE have any issues like you keep complaining about.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
as usual with your other issues with the amd based systems, part of the problem could just be your own fault. i have 4 different ryzen based comps here, NONE have any issues like you keep complaining about.
Typical of their posts...

And similarly, the following systems have been 100% trouble-free for me:
  • Ryzen 5600X + RX 6700 XT
  • Ryzen 5600X + RX 6600 XT
  • Ryzen 5600 + RX 5700
  • Ryzen 5600G using iGPU
  • Ryzen 1600AF + various GPU (now used as a test-bed, previously RX 5700 long term, then GT 730, now RX 5300)
  • Athlon 200GE using iGPU

Reactions: bit_user

deNameMo

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 19, 2019
Typical of their posts...

And similarly, the following systems have been 100% trouble-free for me:
  • Ryzen 5600X + RX 6700 XT
  • Ryzen 5600X + RX 6600 XT
  • Ryzen 5600 + RX 5700
  • Ryzen 5600G using iGPU
  • Ryzen 1600AF + various GPU (now used as a test-bed, previously RX 5700 long term, then GT 730, now RX 5300)
  • Athlon 200GE using iGPU
So what? What is this supposed to say? Just because it runs well for you, doesn't mean it runs well for everyone.

Reactions: KyaraM

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
So what? What is this supposed to say? Just because it runs well for you, doesn't mean it runs well for everyone.
What it's supposed to say is that that one, assuming it's not a fabrication, is an extreme outlier.

That somehow had been a problem for a very long time since day one, but somehow was never returned or replaced under warranty.

And, I'll point out, it's a post that is completely irrelevant to this thread's topic. Just like your previous comment about GPUs.

And, your absolutely false statement of AMD video cards being "objectively worse"

Reactions: bit_user

deNameMo

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 19, 2019
What it's supposed to say is that that one, assuming it's not a fabrication, is an extreme outlier.

That somehow had been a problem for a very long time since day one, but somehow was never returned or replaced under warranty.

And, I'll point out, it's a post that is completely irrelevant to this thread's topic. Just like your previous comment about GPUs.

And, your absolutely false statement of AMD video cards being "objectively worse"
Mate AMD products have been consistently showing issues especially in the GPU department despite rewritten drivers.
The GPUs are utter manure. No it's not special when a driver boosts performance by n-amount. I would actually be mad as a consumer due to the fact that it appears more like AMD released garbage and is slowly, like a Triple-A game, patching it up to what it is supposed to be.

But hey, those same people will go on and b̶u̶y̶ preorder said broken games so two apples alike...

AMD cards are objectively worse. They have virtually no RT capabilities, first gen ai or rt cores, no dlss equiv (NO, FSR is NOT comparable. Anyone who compares FSR and DLSS has ZERO idea what they're talking about)
If the price difference was great enough, one could justify buying a weaker product that isn't future proof, but AMD wanted that extra money and younger folks hyped them [a profit driven company] up to no end.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Mate AMD products have been consistently showing issues especially in the GPU department despite rewritten drivers.
The GPUs are utter manure. No it's not special when a driver boosts performance by n-amount. I would actually be mad as a consumer due to the fact that it appears more like AMD released garbage and is slowly, like a Triple-A game, patching it up to what it is supposed to be.

But hey, those same people will go on and b̶u̶y̶ preorder said broken games so two apples alike...

AMD cards are objectively worse. They have virtually no RT capabilities, first gen ai or rt cores, no dlss equiv (NO, FSR is NOT comparable. Anyone who compares FSR and DLSS has ZERO idea what they're talking about)
If the price difference was great enough, one could justify buying a weaker product that isn't future proof, but AMD wanted that extra money and younger folks hyped them [a profit driven company] up to no end.

You're asserting opinions, not facts.
"Objectively worse" requires facts, not opinions, and not just your word for it.

So, provide PROOF of your "objectively worse" assertion, else you look like you're engaging in fanboyism.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
They have virtually no RT capabilities, first gen ai or rt cores, no dlss equiv (NO, FSR is NOT comparable.
they do have RT capabilities, just not the same level as nvida, same goes for FSR, but they are both pretty good. but hey, if you can show proof that the radeons cant do RT, and that fsr is not comparable, please, provide some sources that show it.

as king v said, these are just your opinions, nothing more

Reactions: King_V

deNameMo

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 19, 2019
they do have RT capabilities, just not the same level as nvida, same goes for FSR, but they are both pretty good. but hey, if you can show proof that the radeons cant do RT, and that fsr is not comparable, please, provide some sources that show it.

as king v said, these are just your opinions, nothing more
FSR is literally a completely different technology.

Again, anyone who compares DLSS and FSR has no idea what they are talking about.

As you said "not on the same level as nvidia". That says it all and proves my point again.

That AMD GPU cards are objectively worse products compared to NVIDIA.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
"Objectively" is dead wrong. Now you're making RT the defining factor.

You don't get to arbitrarily decide what defines a good GPU vs not, just to fit whatever point you're trying to make.

Quit moving the goalposts.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
FSR is literally a completely different technology.
but it does the same thing, and there have been tests done between fsr and dlss and for all intents and purposes, they are both good for what they are, and how they do it, but dlss does get the slight nudge. IMO, i wouldnt use either, i would buy the card that does the res and eye candy that i want, and wouldnt bother with dlss or fsr.

Again, anyone who compares DLSS and FSR has no idea what they are talking about.
so that also means the reviewers that have done comparisons between them, have no idea what they are talking about ? yea ok sure.

As you said "not on the same level as nvidia". That says it all and proves my point again.
no it doesnt, it just means that i agree that dlss does have an edge over FSR.

That AMD GPU cards are objectively worse products compared to NVIDIA.
in your eyes maybe, but thats it. which is just your opinion, nothing more. i have used both radeon and geforce over the years, based on what i need, and can afford, and right now, i am looking at getting a 7900 xtx over any nvidia card, because of the price, i can get a TOP end xtx for the same price as an entry level 4080 costs me. and before you say anything about RT or dlss, i could care less about those, as only one game i play supports RT, and 2 support dlss, and with an xtx, i can play the games i do at the res and max eye candy natively.

Reactions: King_V