[SOLVED] Old build can't see all my new NAS HDDs?

Hai Ngo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2013
Hello~~!

Please excuse my newb-ness..
I have a build from 6 years ago. I recently took out all the old 1-3TB HDDs and upgraded them to 8TB NAS 3.5" HDDs. I have a HDD dock too as I'm trying to back-up all my photo/video work. It seems like my computer can't see more then 2-3 of my HDDs at a time (even as uninitiated HDDs).

Here's the relevant parts of my build:
  1. Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  2. Corsair Enthusiast 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
  3. G.Skill Sniper Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1866 CL9 Memory
  4. Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
old list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/FallenOmnipotent/saved/

I was hoping someone could tell me if I'm bottlenecking somewhere or if I need to buy a nicer HDD dock (I've been buying the cheaper ones from Amazon.)

Solution
Some new models have a "Power Disable" feature on SATA power pin #3. You may need a SATA power cable that doesn't have 3.3V wires. Also, don't be tempted to swap modular power cables between different PSUs. These do not have standardised pinouts, so damage is highly likely.
Some new models have a "Power Disable" feature on SATA power pin #3. You may need a SATA power cable that doesn't have 3.3V wires. Also, don't be tempted to swap modular power cables between different PSUs. These do not have standardised pinouts, so damage is highly likely.

Solution

Hai Ngo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2013
Thank you for the reply! Just to be clear, are you referring to the HDD dock when you're saying new models?

EDIT: oh you mean the new NAS HDDs. Hmm. What if I'm going through a HDD Dock though?