Question Old build starting issues, mobo or PSU?

majaczos22

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
Hi, I have an old build that mainly serves as a web browser so the old specs are enough. Specs in question are:
Xeon E5440 (LGA775 mod)
Asus P5KPL-E
Radeon HD7770 GHz edition
Chieftec 450W PSU

The issue is that when I turn the power on (PSU switch), even though motherboard light comes on immediately , I have to wait a few minutes before starting my computer otherwise it won't start. If I press the start button not only nothing happens, I'd have to cut the power off and on (PSU switch) otherwise it won't start at all. I found a walkaround - there's a BIOS setting that allowsme to choose it has to do after power is restored. I chose the option that makes it start the system automatically and it works quite reliably. Still takes a minute or two but it works and does it on its own.
Only when I cut the power with PSU switch after shutting the system down. When I forget to do so things get worse. Mobo light is still on but it refuses to start, I need to clear the CMOS (with battery and jumpers), check the connections and try again - after waiting some time (lile at the beginning) it comes back to life. Sometimes it just spins the fans for a fraction of a second but in that case the second time does the trick.

So that's my story, I don't know what may be causing that issue, wether it's a matter of some BIOS settings or hardware failing. And if that's the latter - which one. Motherboard or power supply are most likely but how to determine that? I don't have any spare parts to check and since it's an old rig replacing too many parts is not very cost effective. Thanks for any tips.

Video card requires 450 watts minimum power supply. Your Chieftec model may be listed as being a 450 watt model, but it's +12v amperage is rated at about 350 watts.

I suspect you need a better power supply. Here is a review of it:

majaczos22

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
I disassembled my PSU and one of the capacitors looks like that:

vh4Mj9J.jpg

Last edited:

majaczos22

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
I heard that this very capacitor is a typical way how those PSUs die. Now I'm wondering wether to replace it just for fun (I have no skills to do so whatsoever) or buy a new/PSU.