Question Old computer processor stuck at -0.49 to 0.51 Ghz

Feb 26, 2023
So, well I have this old computer from 2016 and even though it has a Pentium N3710, it is STUCK at 0.49Ghz. I have no Idea what to do. I guess it could be due to the thermal paste getting old, but that much of a difference is abnormal. If anyone has any idea why or this is happening, please tell me.
Will reapplying the thermal paste will fix it or if the processor is faulty or smth...

Appreciate any and all help!

Last edited:
It is possible it's being throttled due to temps. Check this directly before opening the laptop: a utility like CoreTemp or HWMonitor will show the CPU temperature (in addition to other stats in the latter case). If the temps are OK it has to be a faulty chip but if they're very high, then opening the laptop to blow out dust is the first step. Optionally applying fresh grease may provide additional help.

Cans of compressed gas are sold in stores that are designed to safely blow dust from electronic parts.

Feb 26, 2023
Thanks for the reply, but the temps are not high but the processor is still stuck @ 0.45Ghz. I do have experience reballing Ball Grid Array {BGA} processors, but have no Idea where to find another Intel Pentium N3710 (or any FCBGA1170 processor) except ordering and taking the processor out of that...

TRENDING THREADS