Old drivers on windows 10? should i reinstall everything?

cslix

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
So i recently ive been upgrading my computer backwards.. which sucks but it is what it is..
Right now i have windows 10 installed on my HDD.. Im now buying a new mobo, cpu, and ram..
With that said should i install the components and boot from cd and do a clean install on the HDD?
My issue is that ill have the old mother board drivers on the HDD if i was just to up and install the components and just run the rig with the HDD how it is? or is there a way of uninstall the mobo drivers easily and installing the new mobo drives on my already installed window? :X confusing but hopefully someone will help me ouT :D

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It is always best to do a clean install of the OS when changing motherboards. But if the old board and new board are not too dissimilar, you can probably get Win10 to boot to the desktop. It will load its drivers it needs from its database. They may not be as recent as the latest ones for the new board, but they will work fine. You can then just install the latest drivers right over the Win ones if you want to.

I just did that this week for a relative. Installed a "new" board, CPU, RAM in his machine. Intel 1155 to Intel 1150 platform. Win10 booted right up with zero issues. Couldn't even tell there was a change... until it asked to be re-activated.

cslix

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009

what did you do about it asking to be reactivated? im probably just gonna clean install.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If it's legal and you had the original installation activated, Microsoft will walk you thru the re-activation steps. I never had to do that myself, the other fellow did that on his own. I'm staying with Win7.
Win10 doesn't use the same product key arrangement as Win7 did. The OS "calls home" to verify if the copy you have is still eligible for re-use. I think there are up to 3 "moves" you can make legally.

A clean install is vastly preferred, but I think you'll still need to re-activate.

Solution