Old Fashioned Typewriter Designs Used as USB Keyboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
... ok.

I mean, I used to like typewriters like these, and used them a fair bit. But ... wow. And actually using the carriage return (NOW you know why it's called that!) for enter?

Even considering someone who's a "retro lover," I can't help but think these would be hugely impractical. Maybe a few "steampunk computer desks" will have them (and probably with a nice, real keyboard tucked away somewhere.)

It's different. I'll give it that, and good work to the people who got this to work. I'd say it's pretty much the definition of "niche market," though.

Super_Nova

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
It looks very nice indeed but I'm curious about a couple of things.
Does the paperfeeder at the back moves with each keystroke, do you have to manually move the feeder back to the start and makes it a 'ping' sound at the end of a sentence?
But more important: can you play [insert any game] and how does it play?

teddymines

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Impracticable. The instructions (see their web site) indicate that the arrow keys and function keys are accessed through alt key combinations. Also, could you imagine having to buy and install ribbon? If I used one of these at work, I'd get beaten within about 2 minutes.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
last i checked aren't most typewriters taller than the bases on lcd monitors? how am i supposed to lean way back when I'm feeling lazy, the typewriter would block the screen! :(

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
i'd love to see someone try to play an FPS game with these keyboards! Does holding down a key let you repeat over and over or do you have to tap it over and over like an actual typewriter? (at least earlier ones like the ones above)

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Find an old typewriter at a pawn shop/antique store and buy the conversion kit for $74.[/citation]

they dont show a video or instructions... i am not willing to drop 85$ + whatever the type writer cost (probably allot due to vintage and collectibility they have) on something that is possibly out of my skill range completely.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]trumpeter1994[/nom]last i checked aren't most typewriters taller than the bases on lcd monitors? how am i supposed to lean way back when I'm feeling lazy, the typewriter would block the screen![/citation]
Just convert an old RCA cabinet TV into a monitor. Problem solved!

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
This is a huge step backwards I don't care how "cool" it looks. After about 3 min of using it im sure anyone would be like %$@$ this and unplug it.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]first typewritter with backspace + enter? Sold![/citation]

My 1930's Royal Arrow has a back space and a "enter" button too...well it's more of an enter leaver.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
First post had it right - this is for the steampunk movement. You know, the "what if the information age hit during the Victorian era and all the tech was still hand-made and not mass produced" pining for the past. Still, there is a guy who makes steampunk computer keyboards that look beautiful - but are sold as works of art at 2x-5x the price of these things. Also, these still smack of mass production and not hand craftsmanship.

I still use my IBM mechanical keyboard that was made in 1985. The reason I like it is the main keys have a layout, dimensions, and feel identical to the old IBM model D electric typewriter keys. I learned to type on one of those model D's. The keyboard weighs 8 pounds and is virtually indestructable. There were more of those model D's sold than all other typewriters in the world combined.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
but can it play... OH YEAH BABY IT CAN! :D

epic, I want one. I'm already imagine myself at a lan party playing crysis with a.... TYPEWRITER! :p

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]if it was in the 100$ range, i would get one, but this is to expensive for me.[/citation]

Its not for you... its for people that have disposable income.. very much so, those people don't want you to have one either..

Status
Not open for further replies.