Old/Faulty Wiring Effecting Upload Speed Need Advice

marthswords

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
This is a problem I've been having for a while now and don't have any idea how to go about fixing it. First of all my full time job is streaming and making video content for youtube. I need upload speed in every sense of the word to preform my job. Its been insanely frustrating these past couple months. 9 out of 10 times when I go to start streaming my upload speed will tank sub 1 Mbps making it impossible to stream. I've had two technicians from my internet service providers come. The first one wasn't really sure what the problem was. The second one who came told me he was getting an error on the line. I told him only my upload speeds were being effected and he said it was most likely faulty/old wiring effecting the high end bandwidth of my service and that he couldn't do anything about it. He suggested I get an electrician to come here to replace and rewire because he cannot do any work that involves getting in the wall. I'm not savvy in these types of things. I know if I called an electrician I would have no idea what to tell him to look for or what to work on. Is this something I could fix by switching the cable in the basement to another part of the house? Is there anything I can purchase that would boost the upload speed of the internet? Just looking for advice or solutions. The last thing I want to do is call an electrician.

kanewolf

Titan
Look for a company that specializes in data cabling. Not a general electrician. There are lots of companies that specialize in low voltage and data cabling. BUT if this is a house, you could run a cable over the floor (or outside around the house) to your inside equipment. That would eliminate any in-wall wiring. It would tell you for sure if you have an in-home wiring problem.

Electrician could only really replace cabling inside your house. From the sound of it, you are using ADSL (if not, specifying what type of connection would help others help you, also mentioning the offered up/down speeds could help, what you have gotten before and now.) and as such, there can be anywhere from few meters to few miles of copper along the streets to the junction where it's converted/connected further.

This outside your house part is ISP's issue.

You can test the inside house part by moving the modem/router/everything to the point where the phone cable comes to the house, disconnect all other inhouse wires (to remove them from the equation) and connect only modem to the line that comes from outside.

If it works at that point, it would be inhouse cabling and electrician could replace it between that point and where you have modem now.

Past what I mentioned now, I don't really have any more clear ideas since I'm not familiar with cable and it is unlikely you are using fibre.