[SOLVED] Old games new build advice

Dec 15, 2021
Here are the specs on my current pc.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
16.0GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 760

Info:
Iv only played"ONE" game for years now. Elder Scrolls Online..............."THATS IT" Who knows what the future hold though. Honestly the only other game that interest me right now is Elder scrolls 6 if it ever comes out before I end up in a old folks home. lol
If I purchase a NEW PC will I "SEE" a significant up grade in graphics? Trying to make sure its "worth" it since GPU prices are CRAZY.
If so suggestions??
I was thinking GTX 3060 ,3070 or 3080 for gpu maybe?? Looking for good bang for buck. Would also like to keep it around the $2000 mark.
If I do purchase a new pc Id probably just go with a whole new pc from Cyberpower or Ibuy power or something company like that. I don't mess the overclocking any more I'm just looking for plug and paly.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated and thank you for your time.

Solution
Considering the requirements for this game I almost cannot imagine you already running it as high to extreme settings. You are WELL beyond minimum requirements. With that said, if it's the only thing you play I cannot see it being worthwhile to spend what a GPU cost right now expecting ONLY that game to look better.
In my own experience with an old game I like (Warhammer) it actually plays better on my older machines. I think most of my issue in that game are related to the much larger resolution than when it came out, and the higher refresh rates causes the cursor to disappear into the background. I load it up at 720 on my laptop and it runs like a champ.

In the case that you are looking to get something just because you can, that is...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Considering the requirements for this game I almost cannot imagine you already running it as high to extreme settings. You are WELL beyond minimum requirements. With that said, if it's the only thing you play I cannot see it being worthwhile to spend what a GPU cost right now expecting ONLY that game to look better.
In my own experience with an old game I like (Warhammer) it actually plays better on my older machines. I think most of my issue in that game are related to the much larger resolution than when it came out, and the higher refresh rates causes the cursor to disappear into the background. I load it up at 720 on my laptop and it runs like a champ.

In the case that you are looking to get something just because you can, that is a different story. I can't really recommend Cyberpower and the like, but really don't know a name of a specific prebuilt I would suggest. Maybe Origin? There is some other group whose name escapes me that is doing a built it yourself kit that I have heard good things about...hopefully someone will recall who that is or make other suggestions.

Solution
Dec 15, 2021

In the case that you are looking to get something just because you can, that is a different story. I can't really recommend Cyberpower and the like, but really don't know a name of a specific prebuilt I would suggest. Maybe Origin? There is some other group whose name escapes me that is doing a built it yourself kit that I have heard good things about...hopefully someone will recall who that is or make other suggestions.

Well like you I havent look at those sites in Many Many years witch is why I'm asking. Been out of the loop for a while now. TY for the advice.

Dec 15, 2021
It isn't difficult to greatly improve, upon the graphics you currently have. Avoid Cyberpower, and Ibuypower, as they tend to use junk PSU's, and there build/assembly quality isn't very good. I would look at NZXT's BLD, or ABS systems, on Newegg. Build redux also. https://buildredux.com/pages/build-your-pc
Good to know about the current state of those two companies. It's been quite a few years since Iv looked into this and I appreciate the updated info. I will look at h the NZXT's and others you suggested. Thank you.

DemonicSky

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
Here are the specs on my current pc.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
16.0GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 760

Info:
Iv only played"ONE" game for years now. Elder Scrolls Online..............."THATS IT" Who knows what the future hold though. Honestly the only other game that interest me right now is Elder scrolls 6 if it ever comes out before I end up in a old folks home. lol
If I purchase a NEW PC will I "SEE" a significant up grade in graphics? Trying to make sure its "worth" it since GPU prices are CRAZY.
If so suggestions??
I was thinking GTX 3060 ,3070 or 3080 for gpu maybe?? Looking for good bang for buck. Would also like to keep it around the $2000 mark.
If I do purchase a new pc Id probably just go with a whole new pc from Cyberpower or Ibuy power or something company like that. I don't mess the overclocking any more I'm just looking for plug and paly.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated and thank you for your time.

I always suggest building it yourself. Takes a bit longer but you get exactly what you want. In regards to your question, you'd most likely not see a massive improvement due to the game's age but you'd be future-proof. There's no need for a 3070 or 3080 in any case, as they tend to shine against the competition when you start pumping up the resolution. You haven't listed what monitor you're using but based on the hardware you listed I'd guess 1920x1080 and at best 120hz but most likely 60hz?

If so, I would look to buy a cheaper Intel i7, 1-2 generations old perhaps (they are usually on sale) with a good quality motherboard/RAM/PSU. You tend to get what you pay for and there's numerous reviews on Tom's when it comes to PSU's. Get a 3060 if you can find one, and invest in a 144hz screen (unless you already had a 120 or 144 before). That will give you a large boost in performance/graphics in games. It's also generally future proof as even if an i7 is older, they tend to pack a punch. I have an i7-4790K as a backup with a 1660 Super, and it's still in use every day for DotA and various other games (1920x1080 @ 144hz, no issues).

TL;DR - Buy an i7, 1-2 generation older than the current, build it yourself, select top components, and buy a 3060 and a 144hz monitor. This will give you the most bang for your buck both current and future games

Dec 15, 2021
I always suggest building it yourself. Takes a bit longer but you get exactly what you want. In regards to your question, you'd most likely not see a massive improvement due to the game's age but you'd be future-proof. There's no need for a 3070 or 3080 in any case, as they tend to shine against the competition when you start pumping up the resolution. You haven't listed what monitor you're using but based on the hardware you listed I'd guess 1920x1080 and at best 120hz but most likely 60hz?

If so, I would look to buy a cheaper Intel i7, 1-2 generations old perhaps (they are usually on sale) with a good quality motherboard/RAM/PSU. You tend to get what you pay for and there's numerous reviews on Tom's when it comes to PSU's. Get a 3060 if you can find one, and invest in a 144hz screen (unless you already had a 120 or 144 before). That will give you a large boost in performance/graphics in games. It's also generally future proof as even if an i7 is older, they tend to pack a punch. I have an i7-4790K as a backup with a 1660 Super, and it's still in use every day for DotA and various other games (1920x1080 @ 144hz, no issues).

TL;DR - Buy an i7, 1-2 generation older than the current, build it yourself, select top components, and buy a 3060 and a 144hz monitor. This will give you the most bang for your buck both current and future games
Thank you for all that info...........great stuff.
This is my monitor just fyi
LG 27GL650F-B 27 Inch Full HD Ultragear G-Sync Compatible Gaming Monitor with 144Hz Refresh Rate and HDR 10 - Black
  • G sync compatible
  • 27 inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS display
  • 144 Hertz refresh rate
  • 1ms motion blur reduction
  • Height/ pivot/ tilt adjustable stand
  • Radeon free Sync technology
  • HDR10 compatible. Dimensions without stand (WxHxD) - 24.2 x 14.4 x 1.8 inches

DemonicSky

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
Thank you for all that info...........great stuff.
This is my monitor just fyi
LG 27GL650F-B 27 Inch Full HD Ultragear G-Sync Compatible Gaming Monitor with 144Hz Refresh Rate and HDR 10 - Black
  • G sync compatible
  • 27 inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS display
  • 144 Hertz refresh rate
  • 1ms motion blur reduction
  • Height/ pivot/ tilt adjustable stand
  • Radeon free Sync technology
  • HDR10 compatible. Dimensions without stand (WxHxD) - 24.2 x 14.4 x 1.8 inches

Even better, I'd go for a 3060 for sure then. If you look around resellers, there are often "upgrade kits", where they sell a CPU, Motherboard and RAM all in one, it generally makes it a bit cheaper/easier if you aren't extremely picky what brand you want