[SOLVED] Old graphic card on new motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2021
Hi there,

Thinking to install my old graphic card GTX 770 into a newer motherboard (Dell XPS desktop 8940). The XPS got a i5-10400 CPU and a 500W PSU. Since the graphic card is pretty old, would there be any compatibility or power issue? Thanks a ton :)

Solution
If it were the other way around - newer gpu, older mobo - you'd have higher odds of running into problems.

Your power supply, on the other hand:
-is 100w under Nvidia's 600w recommendation for the FE models - add a little more for the fancier aftermarket models, because they usually have higher power limits.
-it is entirely possible to run units with less output than what the manufacturer suggests...
Just some food for thought.
Worst case scenario, you may/may not see black screens or freezing.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If it were the other way around - newer gpu, older mobo - you'd have higher odds of running into problems.

-is 100w under Nvidia's 600w recommendation for the FE models - add a little more for the fancier aftermarket models, because they usually have higher power limits.
-it is entirely possible to run units with less output than what the manufacturer suggests...

Reactions: caogecym
Solution
Jan 31, 2021

That's good to know, thank you very much! I'm waiting on a 3060 Ti at the moment, and seems that GTX 770 and 3060 Ti consumes similar amount of power (Nvidia recommends 600W as well). If GTX 770 works well with my PSU, I guess 3060 Ti would as well. Looking at Dell's official website, their special edition offers 3060 Ti with a 500W chassis. So that is a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts