Question Old Hard Drive in New Hardware??

Witterings

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2016
I'm looking at upgrading my PC as it's not Windows 11 compatible .... If I take the drive with Win 10 out of my current PC and install it on a new machine will I have problems with drivers etc. or should it just update and find them all.

This would be an awful lot easire than a new install and I could upgrade Win 10 to 11 and not have to reinstall all the software and set up all the bookmarks again.

If anybody has recommendations for a half decent but budget mini pc as well I'd be interested to hear them, I'm not a gamer, it's just as a work machine mainly for e-mails, word / office and internet browsing, I would buy bottom of a range but ideally something one or two steps up from that.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm looking at upgrading my PC as it's not Windows 11 compatible .... If I take the drive with Win 10 out of my current PC and install it on a new machine will I have problems with drivers etc. or should it just update and find them all.
Oh, its going to have problems.

3 possible outcomes:
1. It works just fine
2. It fails completely
3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

The greater the difference in hardware, the less likely it is to work.
And if your system is old enough to not take Win 11, then the hardware difference will be pretty drastic.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If anybody has recommendations for a half decent but budget mini pc as well I'd be interested to hear them, I'm not a gamer, it's just as a work machine mainly for e-mails, word / office and internet browsing, I would buy bottom of a range but ideally something one or two steps up from that.
Might be good to start a new thread for this. More will respond. Do give a max budget for the hardware. A pc from one of the bigger names or local system builders will likely suffice unless you want to be sure what you have in it and maybe want to keep upgrade possibilities open.

Last edited:
Reactions: Witterings