[SOLVED] old HP P6160a desktop - no display - monitor goes digital analog

TechnicsHiFiFan

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
Hi all,
I may be time to make a new daily system.
My reluctance to replace it, is due to nero 8.2 and my pionner cdr burner, as it does perfect burns and i am running win 7

A few months back, the screen went blank with monitor saying analog digital flashing.
I managed to fix this by re-seating the ram

Since them there has been the occasional page if have a few open saying not enough memory, and occasional distorted image, example looking at google maps stat pics. Its old ram so, you cant really get DDR2 anymore at the local computer store. All was fine it shut down like normal, and then a few mornings ago it started at first with screen with all funny colours/streaks

Here's what i have done
The monitor is fine it showed images on my old Compaq R3000 Pent4 3.2 laptop (oldest pc in house) as it had the same connection for the cable.
Re-seated the ram, took one out ,to test but this just caused the pc to beep ( maybe it needs 2 bays with ram?)
CMOS battery out for a few mins and hold down power button 30 secs
Cleaned cable connectors, fan connectors

The computer fires up as usual, however I dont see the flickering light, but i think the harddrive is running still and fans also

It might be time to upgrade and build a new one, i dont think i would go back to a branded pc. Sure i can find good hardware and maybe the pioneer will be fine , not sure about nero but sure the newer versions would be better for audio cdrs

If i am guessing - either pin in the Onboard graphics or ram

Solution
Considering how old the platform is is, it could be that your motherboard might be trying to say goodbye or that the memory stick are actually faulty or failing. You can try and run memtest on them but for all that the build is worth, you might find it worthwhile to look into a cheap entry level concurrent platform. You could even carry over your optical drive onto the new build provided the case you'll build into has a 5.25" drive bay and that the optical drive you own is SATA based.

You could try and clean the sticks of ram with an eraser. Make sure you remove any carbon build up on the sticks. Wipe clean of any lint or eraser debris and then reseat on the memory slots. You can use a soft fine bristle brush to clean the ram slots on...

Lutfij

Titan
Considering how old the platform is is, it could be that your motherboard might be trying to say goodbye or that the memory stick are actually faulty or failing. You can try and run memtest on them but for all that the build is worth, you might find it worthwhile to look into a cheap entry level concurrent platform. You could even carry over your optical drive onto the new build provided the case you'll build into has a 5.25" drive bay and that the optical drive you own is SATA based.

You could try and clean the sticks of ram with an eraser. Make sure you remove any carbon build up on the sticks. Wipe clean of any lint or eraser debris and then reseat on the memory slots. You can use a soft fine bristle brush to clean the ram slots on the motherboard.

Solution

TechnicsHiFiFan

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
Thanks @Lutfij . It's old and maybe it is trying to say goodbye for an old pc the board wasnt very good , could only have a max of 4gb on it. That is great the optical drive is SATA, i have the cables for it. I will try that with the eraser for the ram and then look for something newer or build a basic one with with optical drive. Its had a good run and lately has been very humid, no air con at home.

Reactions: Lutfij

TechnicsHiFiFan

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
High humidity areas do tend to see motherboard's die due to corrosion in their traces. Worse if you live near the sea.
That is when it played up after a very hot humid day, the eraser trick didnt work, i think the motherboard is done, and not worth chasing, looking into building a system instead as you suggested :) thanks again

Reactions: Lutfij