Old Laptops Become Usable Again With SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
They should of used a DMV center as the testing environment instead of CES. Maybe it could of sparked some much needed updating at most DMV's.

G

At $2 per GiB yes; but, at the current prices that is a definet no... laptop works just fine. Who would not like some extra speed, but not at 500 CAD for a 128 GiB SSD - don't consider 64 GiB SSD a practicle upgrade.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I'd get a 7200 RPM hard drive with more space for the laptop. At least when it finally gets to the point that I can no longer stand how slow the basic experience is I can turn it into a storage server.

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
Well... for $130 I can get a sweet 40Gb Intel SSD. So if I were to invest in a longer lifespan on my old laptop that would be it. Otherwise, that money may be better spent on a new nettop or entry level laptop. Am not really concerned with storage on a laptop/nettop since my desktop is my main PC and all my stuff is stored there. My nettop is mainly just for doing presentations for my business and only has a few docs and whatnot on it.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I don't know about Winblows but I will put a SSD drive in my Linux laptop when the original drive dies, by then they may actually be big enough and cheap enough to be worth it.

eurodj

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I believe at laptop prices nowdays SSD still makes no sense unless economically you can justify the upgrade IE.Autocad,rendering work,Gaming if thats ur thing,or any other way in which the ssd will proove itself usefull as for everyday normal people use i think not. SSDs will become chepaer and thus i will upgrde then but as to upgrade older machines i believe not. Im pretty sure my wife was better off getting a 500 dollar vaio with a Dual core CPU bigger HD and windows 7 than putting a ssd on her aging compaq with a pentium m and windows xp. Just my 2 cents

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Why spend $100-$200 to revive old slow laptop where you can get a decent BRAND NEW one for $400-500?

It's like buying a $20 ink for an old printer that only prints where new one is $60 comes with ink, that prints, scans, copies AND faxes WITH warranty.

G

Would you be hampered at all if your laptop only supports Sata 1.5GB/s?

carpwrist

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
The SSD can be put into another piece of hardware once you're done with the laptop, so it's actually a pretty solid investment.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
For $100 I'd put a 30gb in my old Compaq laptop and run Windows XP on it. I wouldn't run Win7 so I'd also want drivers to support TRIM.

I wouldn't pay the prices listed here at $100 for 16gb. That's just too small.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Oh yeah it would also have to be IDE. Aren't most laptops with SATA already new enough to not require an SSD upgrade? I want my 1.6Ghz Athlon XP Compaq with 512mb RAM to be usable again...

G

that is why the initial eeepc's became so popular, and why the later releases with hdd got so criticized for being slow!

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Windows XP + MS Office / OpenOffice = 5.5GB
Linux Mint + OpenOffice + GIMP + everything else that comes preinstalled = 4.5GB
So I can see using a 16GB SSD but my biggest problem with old laptops is the lack of RAM and poor battery life / battery life degradation. Add a new battery and a RAM upgrade and you might as well buy a new laptop with a faster processor, better screen, better power efficiency and a warranty.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
why would you want to run new OS in an old laptops??? installing more RAM and bigger hard disk make more sense. that is if that laptop still alive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS