Question OLD MOBO reading half of each RAM stick.

Jun 1, 2023
Hi newbie here,

First PC buid, an XP machine for retro gaming. I have everything I need and started putting it all together today only to stumble at the first hurdle. I have a Foxconn n15235 MOBO and 4GB of RAM. When I enter setup it's only reading half of each stick. I have tried multiple different sticks of RAM along with each RAM slot individually and the same problem persists, if I have 4GB installed it reads 2GB, if I only have 2GB installed it reads 1GB. I have checked and the MOBO should support 4GB.

1. Will a BIOS update fix this?

2. If so, is there a way to do this before installing Windows XP? (I have other old PC's with included licenses for XP that I can try instead)

Below are some other (intended) specs for my build, any help appreciated:

PSU: 350w

MOBO: Foxconn N15235

CPU: Intel Celeron was included and worked but I want to use the Core 2 Quad Q6600 that I have. (Would I need a new CPU cooler?)

GPU: 2GB GT710 (I have a few other older GPU's that I can swap if this causes issues)

Sound Card: Soundblaster SB 0220

4GB Dual Channel DDR2 533

120GB SSD + 500GB HDD

Many Thanks in advance!

JB

if I have 4GB installed it reads 2GB, if I only have 2GB installed it reads 1GB. I have checked and the MOBO should support 4GB.
What are model names of your ram modules?

4GB modules need to have 16 chips. 2GB modules need to have 8 chips.
4GB module.
RAMDoubleSide.png

2GB module
RAMSingleSide.png

1. Will a BIOS update fix this?
No.
2. If so, is there a way to do this before installing Windows XP? (I have other old PC's with included licenses for XP that I can try instead)
Do what? Update BIOS?

Jun 1, 2023
What are model names of your ram modules?

4GB modules need to have 16 chips. 2GB modules need to have 8 chips.
4GB module.
RAMDoubleSide.png

2GB module
RAMSingleSide.png

No.

Do what? Update BIOS?

Hi, thanks for the reply,

I have 2 x Kingston 2GB modules.I actually have 4 and have tried both sets separately. They look more like the top pic with 8 chips on either side of each stick but Ive used them in my other PC and they are 2GB sticks. There are a bunch of numbers on this little sticker. Which one is the model number?

Yes I was asking if i can update the BIOS before installing Windows but if that won't do anything it hardly matters.

Thanks

According to what i found on the old interweb.

It has 2 slots and can have a max of 4GB so 2GB per slot. Everything else your explaining leads me to believe that this board can only use single sided ram, where you are using double sided ram.

Also according to the sku you gave KVR800D2N5K2/4G is DDR2 800MHz ram , which the board is able to handle 533, 667, 800, and 1066MHz

You need to find ran sticks that only have chips on one side of the stick.

Jun 1, 2023

It has 2 slots and can have a max of 4GB so 2GB per slot. Everything else your explaining leads me to believe that this board can only use single sided ram, where you are using double sided ram.

Also according to the sku you gave KVR800D2N5K2/4G is DDR2 800MHz ram , which the board is able to handle 533, 667, 800, and 1066MHz

You need to find ran sticks that only have chips on one side of thDidnt know that was a thing

You need to find ran sticks that only have chips on one side of the stick.
I had no idea that was a thing. Thanks for taking the time dude, much appreciated!

TRENDING THREADS