Question Old MOBO (Z97K) + RTX3070 = 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps on startup, but everything works

Jul 11, 2024
Hi, I have 2 PCs, one new and one old. I just bought a new RTX4090 to replace an RTX3070 in my new PC.

My second and older PC has a GTX1080, so I thought that I could transfer the RTX3070 into the older PC and get rid of the 1080.

Now I installed the 3070 in the old PC, which has an ASUS Z97-K mobo and Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

When I turn on the PC, I now get 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps, which I read is a Graphics error. I tried making sure that the GPU is properly slotted in and all cables are tight. I do have monitors connected and ON.

When I turn the PC on, everything actually seems to be working fine, so my question is:

Should I be worried about the long beep and three short beeps or not?

Could this be just a minor error that I can ignore or would this be a serious issue?

Many thanks!

While the 3070 doesn't use a ton more power than the 1080 it does use more so it could be power supply related. If the power supply is older and you're using a daisy chained PCIe power connector this may be the problem.

Jul 11, 2024
Thanks for the response. Actually my new PC had a 700W PSU which ran the RTX3070 fine. The older PC actually has a 750W PSU so its a bit more. But it is daisy chained, but I think that was also the case in the new PC.

So do I need to worry about this? Is there a way to find out what it could be caused by?

Wattage doesn't mean anything when it comes to PSU design or how good one happens to be. Power delivery is just the first thing that came to mind as something that could kick back a GPU warning but still work.

Did you boot the PC before turning the monitor on? It could also be some sort of weird display not detected situation.

As for being worried about it if everything is working properly no.

Jul 11, 2024
I first booted it without the monitors being plugged in, although I've done that before and I never got the beeping. However, I read that for someone it stopped beeping after the displays were plugged and on when they booted it so I tried that but it still beeped on my end.

The PSU I have now is Corsair RM750X. The previous one was Kolink Enclave 700 Watt Modular Gold Rated Power
Supply.

So I guess for now I'll not worry and hope that it won't cause any real issues.