Question Old Motherboard 775 Expansion

Mar 24, 2019
I have a G41 Combo Motherboard by Gigabyte which have 1 pcie x1, 1 pcie x16 and 2 pci slots. (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-G41M-Combo-rev-20#sp)

While the processor is using intel core 2 quad q6600. Right now, i'm planning to expand my motherboard to have nvme ssd via pcie x1 and adding usb 3.0 via pci slot. While the pcie x16 is being used by nvidia gt740.

Is it possible to run all of these things together? I don't understand much about pci lane.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
As mentioned ^, you cannot boot from it (wasn't supported in the consumer space until socket 1150, specifically Z87 chipset IIRC) and you'd be limited in speed due to the board being Gen2 (?) PCIe.

If you wanted an SSD, the most budget of 2.5" drives would be the max I would look at. With the SATA limitation (II), you'll likely never max out the throughput available on a budget drive.

NVMe requires pcie x4. Your bios does not support NVMe, so will not recognise it as a boot device, only a storage device.

Gen2 x2 minimum, no? Given the G41 chipset is PCIe 1.1, that would need to be x8 of that Gen as a minimum... would it not?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Needs an x4 slot. It doesn't fit in an x1 slot and x1 doesn't have near enough lanes or bandwidth, even at pcie 3.1, never mind pcie 1.1. Basically if you do not have a 4 lane pcie x4 3.0 or higher slot on the mobo, you don't have either the bios nor capacity for NVMe. MSI had the first Intel board capable of NVMe, a Z68. Also had the first AM4. For mainstream and full functionality, you'd need a Z97 mobo, although with hacks you can get one a work around for the Z68 and Z77. Just requires a custom modified bios and use of the second pcie x16 (runs at x4) slot so that'll be slow as molasses storage since pcie x4 1.1 is close enough to pcie x1 3.0 (just has the required 4x lanes)

NVMe will not work on lga775. You'd be hard pressed to get Sata1 (1.5Gb/s, not 3Gb/s or 6Gb/s) to work right.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019
I think, i can adding nvme ssd because there are a lot of pci adapter to nvme out there. But now i will forget it.

Thank you so much for your response guys. I really appreciate it.