[SOLVED] Old MSI Laptop SSD into a new laptop

Jul 13, 2020
I have an old GS70 Stealth laptop that doesn't turn on anymore. I got a GL65 95C a couple months ago and I'm looking to upgrade it. I saw that there was extra slot for an SSD or HDD. Is it as simple as grabbing the old SSD and plugging it into the new laptop? Or will that destroy my computer?

Solution
How would I go about deleting the OS off the drive? Once the computer boots up do I delete everything in the new drive in the file explorer, or is there something else I gotta do? Thanks btw
The best way is to take all your data off of it into a folder somewhere else, then format it. Then you can return the data to the fresh drive. If you are selling the computer with that drive, rather than just a format you would do a secure erase, but it sounds like you will use it as a second drive.

A simple format can be done many ways, the easiest is to right click on it in the Windows Explorer and select format.

RealBeast

Titan
I have an old GS70 Stealth laptop that doesn't turn on anymore. I got a GL65 95C a couple months ago and I'm looking to upgrade it. I saw that there was extra slot for an SSD or HDD. Is it as simple as grabbing the old SSD and plugging it into the new laptop? Or will that destroy my computer?
You can just attach it and insure that it is not in the boot order, then format it after you take any data off.

You will want to delete whatever OS is on the secondary drive as it will be incompatible with the new machine, as it is just wasted space and could cause an issue if it somehow became the boot drive.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the Forums :D

its not quite that simple but yes. throw it in there and boot the system. if it does not boot, the boot order changed, set the system to boot from the proper drive and try again. once windows boot you MIGHT need to enter disk management and import the foreign disk before it will be seen in windows. after importation the drive will be mounted with a drive letter and you can access the data therein.

Jul 13, 2020
You can just attach it and insure that it is not in the boot order, then format it after you take any data off.

You will want to delete whatever OS is on the secondary drive as it will be incompatible with the new machine, as it is just wasted space and could cause an issue if it somehow became the boot drive.

How would I go about deleting the OS off the drive? Once the computer boots up do I delete everything in the new drive in the file explorer, or is there something else I gotta do? Thanks btw

Jul 13, 2020
Welcome to the Forums :D

its not quite that simple but yes. throw it in there and boot the system. if it does not boot, the boot order changed, set the system to boot from the proper drive and try again. once windows boot you MIGHT need to enter disk management and import the foreign disk before it will be seen in windows. after importation the drive will be mounted with a drive letter and you can access the data therein.

Hey, I'm not that good with computers so give me a break if I sound silly.

I'm assuming you change the boot order in some kind of menu you access as the computer turns on (by holding a key or something). Right?

Also, I'm assuming that once I've imported the drive, it's still gonna have all the data and stuff it was holding. Would deleting System 32 and all the important stuff in the drive affect the computer? P

RealBeast

Titan
The best way is to take all your data off of it into a folder somewhere else, then format it. Then you can return the data to the fresh drive. If you are selling the computer with that drive, rather than just a format you would do a secure erase, but it sounds like you will use it as a second drive.

A simple format can be done many ways, the easiest is to right click on it in the Windows Explorer and select format.

Solution