Old OnLive Owes Around $18.7M; Sold For Just $4.8M

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Anytime one of these companies goes down it is good for serious gamers. If the powers have their way all gaming will be like this and you will never "own" your software again, well the disk that you can play as long as you want. It will be like a new cable or phone bill. Want to game pay us a monthly fee.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Anytime one of these companies goes down it is good for serious gamers. If the powers have their way all gaming will be like this and you will never "own" your software again, well the disk that you can play as long as you want. It will be like a new cable or phone bill. Want to game pay us a monthly fee.[/citation]
Depends on the monthly fee. Play all the games you want for £6 a month sounds like a great deal. I'd get netflix for games. Can't be bothered with TV/Films as I play games much more.

bucknutty

Distinguished
I have a co-worker that has a few hundered bucks, maybe even a grand tied up in the onlive console, and game licenses that he bought over the last few years. What would have happend if they were forced to hard stop. Would they provide him a cd key for those games, or would he just be out of luck?

At least services like steam and origin give you your CD key.... Not that it would do much if they go under.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Bucknutty[/nom]I have a co-worker that has a few hundered bucks, maybe even a grand tied up in the onlive console, and game licenses that he bought over the last few years. What would have happend if they were forced to hard stop. Would they provide him a cd key for those games, or would he just be out of luck?At least services like steam and origin give you your CD key.... Not that it would do much if they go under.[/citation]
Probably he would be out of luck and have a new paperweight that costs up to a grand.

[citation][nom]Bucknutty[/nom]I have a co-worker that has a few hundered bucks, maybe even a grand tied up in the onlive console, and game licenses that he bought over the last few years. What would have happend if they were forced to hard stop. Would they provide him a cd key for those games, or would he just be out of luck?At least services like steam and origin give you your CD key.... Not that it would do much if they go under.[/citation]

In theory, a CD Key is the equivalent to a license to use. I'm sure at least some companies would honor existing CD Keys...

onlive will never be profitable. I don't know why people would waste even $4.8m on it. It doesn't have the scalability that is required for anything successful. Can't render thousands of games without it all looking like crap unless they pay big money on bigger systems which will cost a lot more than just giving each person a console type of hardware.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
They would have been successful if they didn't impose policies that outright tells the customer that they wont get their moneys worth.

Onlive has lag issues that make most games nearly impossible to play. When a response delay becomes noticeable, it becomes frustrating as you have to slow down your mouse movement to avoid overshooting things you want to click on.

Their terms of service was horrible. You pay near retail cost for a game and then they claim that they will only keep it on their servers for a year but reserve the option to remove them sooner if enough players are not playing it (a number they don't release)

They offer cheaper options which are basically rending the games but they are move expensive compared to services like gamefly.

They don't run the games at high settings or even at a decent resolution (you will generally get 720P interpolated video streaming to your system)

You lose the ability to get mods and otherwise customize your gaming experience.

Who would want to pay for a service when the company basically tells you that they can take your money and not give you the product/ service that you paid for?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hardly surprising, internet isn't ready for latency demanding video streaming. Its not like you want 5 secs buffering while playing a shooter or car game. Video works well thanks to the buffering but gaming is entirely different where latency is a huge part of the equation in fast games.

Status
Not open for further replies.