Old PCI-E 3.0 Video Card and an even older PCI-E 2.0 Mobo

Nov 2, 2018
Hey TH community, I have a unique scenario but I'm hoping someone reading this may have experienced the same video card issue and can help share a solution. I have an old computer:

Motherboard: MSI A75A-G55 Socket FM1
CPU: AMD A4-3400
Ram: 6GB (1 x 4GB DDR3 10700, 1 x 2GB DDR3 10700)
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 520 Watt Bronze EVO Edition
GPU: ASUS Geforce GTX670

I attempted to upgrade my video card to something more powerful, I play older games on this PC but even some of those start to struggle on medium settings so I was looking for the cheapest upgrade possible and determined the GPU would do it. I went with the ASUS 670GTX but for the life of me can not get my PC to use it for video output. This card is a PCI-E 3.0 and my mainboard only has a PCI-E 2.0 slot, but reading online I saw that 3.0 cards can work with the 2.0 interface. I've tried upgrading my bios to the latest version recommended, 1.7. There is a 3.0 version but that is for Windows 8 only and I'm on Win 7 x64. It also states that updating to v3.0 is irreversible (see here: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/A75AG55.html#down-bios).

I've messed with the BIOS settings but there are hardly any available to change. Fast Boot is Disabled and the Graphics settings are already set to PEG instead of Integrated and I uninstalled my old video card drivers and installed the newest ones available for my card from the NVIDIA website. No matter what I try, my display settings show the Integrated Graphics in use on my monitor and if I switch my VGA Cable from the back of my graphics card to the Integrated Graphics I get signal on my monitor. In Device Manager it shows both my new Graphics Card and the Integrated graphics card as recognized and functioning properly. I've tried both HDMI and DVI to VGA Adapter on the back of the GPU. I'm wondering if anyone has gotten a PCI-E 3.0 card to work on this motherboard or any other FM1 motherboard? I know I may have to just upgrade to get this card to work but I'd like to avoid that if possible as I don't want to have to get a new Mobo / CPU / RAM and reload all my apps and games that I've installed over the years.

Wolfshadw

Titan
First off, it's PCI-E, not PCI-X. Two completely different animals.

There is no reason why any PCI-E graphics card would not work with your motherboard. Have you connected the external power connections from the power supply to the graphics card?

-Wolf sends

Nov 2, 2018

Thank you, Wolfshadw. I updated my post so it is less confusing. Yes, I have plugged in both PCI-E power cables from the PSU to the Graphics card and have reseated the card and power connections. The Fans on the card spin when the computer is on. I had a PCI-E card in this PC before, a Geforce 9600-GSO, so I know the PCI-E slot is good and working properly. I've read that there is some unknown reason that certain MSI motherboards have this issue. Maybe the BIOS is too old (Older than the card) and the motherboard doesn't fully recognize it?

Nov 2, 2018

Thanks for the recommendation. I pulled the card and swapped it into a friends computer and it worked on his newer Motherboard. So we've ruled out the Card being the issue. Do you think trying older Nvidia Drivers would make any difference? I'm thinking the card not displaying anything on bootup though means it's a BIOS / Motherboard issue.