[SOLVED] Old PSU on partly new basic build

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Hi Guys
So i've recently put together a basic, very low end gaming build, A Ryzen 3 1200 (No OC), MSI A320 Pro MB, 16gb DDR4 2666, R7 250 2GB (3 years Old), 1 x SSD, 2 x 7200rpm HDD (ancient, just for storage), 1 x DVD writer/combo (don't know why i still have one Lol), 2 x 80mm LED case fans (I know some wouldn't even consider this a gaming build but forgive me, i do most of my hardcore gaming on Xbox and PS4) and powering all this is a roughly 4 year old Corsair CX 430. I've noticed my 12v rail drops to 11.90v under load. should i be worried and replace the PSU asap or can i buy a few months down the line. i can't really splash that much cash on a new PSU, i reside in South africa and have roughly R1000 to spend (Roughly $65), i know a fully modular PSU might be a long shot but if you guys know of a cheap reliable option let me know. any guidance would be highly appreciated

Solution
Your running on an old CX series platform since it's a 430w and not 450w. I would look at upgrading it soon. Old CX series not that great. Your still within spec , here's a 2.2 spec for tolerances:
Click image to expand:
"I've noticed my 12v rail drops to 11.90v under load. should i be worried and replace the PSU asap or can i buy a few months down the line. "

The spec is 11.4V on the low end and you aren't even close so you are OK for now and I think you can wait a few months unless it's doing anything odd at the moment.

Reactions: Lushern1309

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You're still within the +/- 5% save zone for the +12V rail. The early CX line (green label) is poorer than the newer grey label models, but still usable. Hang on to it until you can afford to buy new.

Btw, you'll find that the Vega 8 iGPU is slightly faster than the aging R7 250 for gaming. Leaving out the gfx card and using the iGPU might eliminate the voltage drop on the +12V rail.

Reactions: Lushern1309

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
You're still within the +/- 5% save zone for the +12V rail. The early CX line (green label) is poorer than the newer grey label models, but still usable. Hang on to it until you can afford to buy new.

Btw, you'll find that the Vega 8 iGPU is slightly faster than the aging R7 250 for gaming. Leaving out the gfx card and using the iGPU might eliminate the voltage drop on the +12V rail.
Hey clutchc, I may be mistaken but i don't think the Ryzen 3 1200 has a graphics processor, you're forced to use dedicated cards