Old PSU to Ryzen 2600X?

Aug 25, 2018
Guys just quick question. I am currently cleaning my old pc, i5 2500k. During cleaning I noticed that I have Corsair TX850W in it. Would it be still ok to use with Ryzen 5 2600x? The model is CMPSU-850TXV2.

Solution
You should probably go for lower voltage and higher efficiency. Go for at least Gold Standard. A 750 Watt PSU should serve you well. So long as you don't pair it with any super high TDP components, it should hold up perfectly. You can get some for under $100.

On durability: PSUs generally last at least 20 years. The only reason you'd need to upgrade is efficiency or TDP of your computer.

But if your current PSU has never been fully taxed and you're not running stress tests constantly, you'll be fine.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
How long has it been in use? I would probably have no issue using it, the TX850 V2's were pretty decent. I doubt it was under any kind of heavy load with a 2500k system unless you had some sli or crossfire setup. So it likely has a good amount of life left in it.

Aug 25, 2018
I think I have it from 2011, maybe 2012. Not to old for new rig? Im on tight budget so any savings could be great as money for Psu could go somewhere else.

Aug 25, 2018
You should probably go for lower voltage and higher efficiency. Go for at least Gold Standard. A 750 Watt PSU should serve you well. So long as you don't pair it with any super high TDP components, it should hold up perfectly. You can get some for under $100.

On durability: PSUs generally last at least 20 years. The only reason you'd need to upgrade is efficiency or TDP of your computer.

But if your current PSU has never been fully taxed and you're not running stress tests constantly, you'll be fine.

Solution