Old screen and New Desktop

G

My friend told me, each time u buy a new desktop u change the screen, what im trying to say is buy the whole set, cuz he said old+new hardrive=screen wont last long( not destroying, but doesn't work for long) is that true?

Solution
It will work with no problems. I've seen 7-year old CRT's being used on brand new systems. Monitors will burn out, but you DO NOT have to buy a brand new monitor with a new system. I've used the same monitor for three new systems for at least four years. I did eventually upgraded the monitor, but not because it didn't work with my new system. It's just I went to a 28" LCD to replace my 19" CRT. Again, an old monitor will work with a new system as long as it has the correct input. In fact, most people upgrade their desktops before they upgrade their monitors.
G

he has a 4 years old monitor and a harddrive, its kinda old for him to play low end game, like crossfire and other, cuz it lag, and he wanna buy a new hard drive, i told him to buy a hard drive alone not the whole set, and he said what i said up there, old screen and new hard drive is not compatible for a long time? is there such thing, or he heard it wrong from a computer geek?

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
uh, well, you will have a lower res, if you are going to get a new HDD, I advise Spintpoint F3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&cm_re=spintpoint_F3-_-22-152-185-_-Product ~ 69.99

I don't even know how those correlate? storage and visual? nothing in common, I can't even see how you could even think that... The closest I can come to is drivers, a few mointors need drivers.... but nothing else.....

Anyway, a 4 year old computer you should start thinking of buying a new one.....

Also, lag in games is usually FPS, not Hardrive....

a budget? are you planning on building yourself, or did you put it in the Cyberpower area because you want to get it from them?

G

what he told me is that, IT WONT WORK, and iw as like wdf? because he said, its not in the set like, if u have an old screen and an alienware, the screen will last 1 or 2 years before it get destroy?? what the hell is that, if the picture show it last until the screen DIE...

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
well, monitors DO burn out.....

Machinima.com is running a special thing, were they are trying to get to 15th prestige as fast as possible, playing 24/7... and they have broken 2 headsets, 1 xbox in 8 days... Now, those are all out of box items, running for 24/7.... obviously not something they are designed for.... their TV is just fine... my friend has one that has run for like 2 years... works fine

G

i know what ur talking about, but what he trying to say is that, EACH TIME U BUY A NEW DESKTOP, U BUY A THE SET, IF U USE THE OLD ONE WITH THE NEW DESKTOP OR BUY THEM SEPERATELY, IT WONT WORK...

runswindows95

Distinguished
It will work with no problems. I've seen 7-year old CRT's being used on brand new systems. Monitors will burn out, but you DO NOT have to buy a brand new monitor with a new system. I've used the same monitor for three new systems for at least four years. I did eventually upgraded the monitor, but not because it didn't work with my new system. It's just I went to a 28" LCD to replace my 19" CRT. Again, an old monitor will work with a new system as long as it has the correct input. In fact, most people upgrade their desktops before they upgrade their monitors.

Solution
G

i know, but im trying to post here so there is a proof, because hes monitor is only 4 years old LCD 21" not bad, but his Desktop is old, so he said he must buy the whole set, and thats a waste of money rather add it to the desktop for a faster cpu and gpu

runswindows95

Distinguished
My advise is if he can afford to upgrade both, why not? If he can't, he can use the LCD with the new system for the time being. Then again, if he is buying a pre-built, he might be able to get a good deal buying both. Again, question of budget.