Old SSD - new build?

mardenthing

Commendable
Feb 4, 2019
I have read online that it's not possible to setup a new build with an old SSD with windows on it as the components will be different and windows won't know what to do, however after asking for some advice at my local PC repair shop, they have said that windows should try and reconfigure itself upon startup once it realised the hardware is significantly different. Is this the case and I really don't want to wipe my SSD and all my parts are arriving tomorrow.

Also does anyone know roughly what (if playable) fps I may get playing black ops 4 on a i5-9600k integrated graphics? (Don't have a GPU coming as a GTX1050ti was in my budget but if I wait another month I can scrape enough together for a 1070 so thought I'd hold out that extra month even if it relegates me to csgo etc, I don't mind if it does as my old rig was a i3-2100 (I think) and 4gb ddr3 with no GPU so even if I can still only play those games they should run better.)

Thanks

it will create complete havoc to simply reboot with new hardware and hope that all new chipset/cpu/GPU drivers are installed, assuming you are even running the required WIndows 10 for the new build, as older Windows versions are not compatible with newer chipsets...

USAFRet

Titan
What OS are you working with?

Trying to move a drive and OS like that has 3 possible outcomes:
1. It boots up just fine
2. It fails completely
3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.

A clean install is always recommended, often required.

Coming from an i3-2100 to something current....full wipe and reinstall.

Assuming Win10:
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Also assuming Win10:
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

mardenthing

Commendable
Feb 4, 2019

I purchased the windows 10 key in May 2018, how would I go about wiping the SSD so I can start fresh and reinstall windows. I can't connect it to the old pc as it is dead as a dodo.

mardenthing

Commendable
Feb 4, 2019
Would it be possible if my new pc does start with this windows, even if down the line there would be errors, I can wipe the SSD with the new pc to then do a fresh windows install?

mardenthing

Commendable
Feb 4, 2019

Right excellent this is all I needed, as long as I can wipe the drive without using a current working pc I will be excellent. Thanks. Good job I have a couple more days as they didn't send out my CPU so this puts my mind to rest haha