Question Old System vs New System Upgrading Questions

Filorux

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
49
0
18,530
0
Ok currently I have the following in as my system
Asus ROG Maximus Hero Vi
Intel i5 4670k
Gskill Ares 16gb PC2400
Corsair HX750 watt power supply
Cool Master HAF932 Advanced case
Geforce GTX1660ti graphics card

In order to max this mobo out I could upgrade the
CPU to a I7-4790K that would run $234.00
RAM bump that up an additional 16gb with the Gskill Ares PC2400 that would cost $90.00
Graphics card up to a RTX2060 or the RX5700 (I don't think it's worth to go higher than these) for roughly $315.00 to $385.00 (so lets call it $350.00)

That brings us to a total of $674.00 and I would continue to use my Power Supply, Case, Samsung EVO-840 1TB SSD .
I got the prices from PC Part Picker and went with the least expensive price points. So my question for you all comes to this, is it worth spending that much money to max what I have out or would it be a better bang for the buck to upgrade with newer parts (Mobo, Ram, CPU, GPU) and if so staying at that price point what would you all recommend for a newer build if I were to buy the parts in question and continue to use my Case, Power Supply and SSD. I don't use the PC for anything crazy at worst gaming would be the most taxing.

Thanks in advance
 

kanewolf

Titan
Moderator
Ok currently I have the following in as my system
Asus ROG Maximus Hero Vi
Intel i5 4670k
Gskill Ares 16gb PC2400
Corsair HX750 watt power supply
Cool Master HAF932 Advanced case
Geforce GTX1660ti graphics card

In order to max this mobo out I could upgrade the
CPU to a I7-4790K that would run $234.00
RAM bump that up an additional 16gb with the Gskill Ares PC2400 that would cost $90.00
Graphics card up to a RTX2060 or the RX5700 (I don't think it's worth to go higher than these) for roughly $315.00 to $385.00 (so lets call it $350.00)

That brings us to a total of $674.00 and I would continue to use my Power Supply, Case, Samsung EVO-840 1TB SSD .
I got the prices from PC Part Picker and went with the least expensive price points. So my question for you all comes to this, is it worth spending that much money to max what I have out or would it be a better bang for the buck to upgrade with newer parts (Mobo, Ram, CPU, GPU) and if so staying at that price point what would you all recommend for a newer build if I were to buy the parts in question and continue to use my Case, Power Supply and SSD. I don't use the PC for anything crazy at worst gaming would be the most taxing.

Thanks in advance
The CPU price, you really should go to E-Bay and buy used. Even then it is probably money wasted, compared to current gen hardware.
An additional 16GB RAM won't benefit unless you are video editing or similar.
 

Filorux

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
49
0
18,530
0
The CPU price, you really should go to E-Bay and buy used. Even then it is probably money wasted, compared to current gen hardware.
An additional 16GB RAM won't benefit unless you are video editing or similar.
I do no editing or anything like that for work. Sometimes my son likes to stream when he is gaming but that is not often that he streams. Besides he does not have a second computer to use as his stream set up so he just uses the same computer except we have 2 monitors.

So assuming if it were possible, if I were to invest in current gen hardware what could I go with and stay at the same $650.00 price point. If it's not possible get me as close to current as we can. I assume your response is leaning towards maxing out this system would be wasted money, which is what I was thinking myself it may just not be worth it.
 
Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
Moderator
A bump to a 2060, or a 5700 would be a waste of money, imo. I wouldn't buy a GPU, until the midrange RTX 3000's come out. Unless you really feel the need to upgrade right now, wait for 4th gen Ryzen benchmarks, then decide on a CPU path. If you don't want to wait, for a pure gaming rig, a 10600k is the way to go, though an R5 3600 will get you pretty similar results, given the GPU being used.
 

kanewolf

Titan
Moderator
I would keep the 1660ti

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 64.95 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($163.92 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($68.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $576.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-19 15:45 EDT-0400
 

Filorux

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
49
0
18,530
0
I would keep the 1660ti

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 64.95 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($163.92 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($68.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $576.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-19 15:45 EDT-0400
Do you feel the 1660ti should keep for another say 5 years max? I purchased it about 1 year ago.
 

Filorux

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
49
0
18,530
0
My crystal ball is in for repair :)
You could choose to move to a 4K display tomorrow and every thing discussed in this thread is an insufficient GPU ...
Fair enough...... On the parts you have listed there out of curiosity could I still be able to use my Samsung EVO 840? If so, I wouldn't have to do a fresh install would I or does it not work like that since I would be replacing the other core parts? I would hate to have to start fresh, crossing my fingers it can be just a unplug from old and plug into new mobo and we are groovy. I have work related stuff that would be a huge pain to have to get back on it. IT Dept would have to get involved with clearance issues.
 
Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Moderator
Fair enough...... On the parts you have listed there out of curiosity could I still be able to use my Samsung EVO 840? If so, I wouldn't have to do a fresh install would I or does it not work like that since I would be replacing the other core parts? I would hate to have to start fresh, crossing my fingers it can be just a unplug from old and plug into new mobo and we are groovy.
ANY time you swap motherboards, you should do a clean OS install. Even if you try without it, you should PLAN for a clean OS install.
You could use your existing EVO. The one I included is the new NVMe standard. Your existing EVO could become additional SSD storage.
 

logainofhades

Titan
Moderator
The 970 evo is a great SSD, but more than what is needed, for a gaming rig. For a 5 year rig, I would consider a 3700x, instead.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($283.55 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ B&H)
Total: $558.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-19 16:47 EDT-0400
 

Filorux

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
49
0
18,530
0
The 970 evo is a great SSD, but more than what is needed, for a gaming rig. For a 5 year rig, I would consider a 3700x, instead.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($283.55 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ B&H)
Total: $558.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-19 16:47 EDT-0400
The main reason I asked if I could keep and use the one I have and if it would be plug and play is strictly because of work related programs and hardware in the house. The IT Dept would have to come from out of state to handle all the installs and get everything set up again. The company I work for is well rather quite temperamental when it comes to doing fresh installs especially when you don't work at the headquarters and we can leave it at that lol.
 

kanewolf

Titan
Moderator
The main reason I asked if I could keep and use the one I have and if it would be plug and play is strictly because of work related programs and hardware in the house. The IT Dept would have to come from out of state to handle all the installs and get everything set up again. The company I work for is well rather quite temperamental when it comes to doing fresh installs especially when you don't work at the headquarters and we can leave it at that lol.
IF software installs are a key issue, then you really DON'T want to do a new motherboard/CPU. That may be the kill button right there.
 

EridanusSV

Upstanding
Aug 16, 2020
318
40
220
4
Man. That Devil's Canyon is expensive. My wife is running that CPU right now and I don't even plan on selling it for more than a hundred dollars once I get her a Ryzen. Good luck man. But like what the others say, eBay would be a smarter choice for a 6 year old chip.
 

Filorux

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
49
0
18,530
0
IF software installs are a key issue, then you really DON'T want to do a new motherboard/CPU. That may be the kill button right there.
That's what I'm afraid of. It boils down to security purposes and having the proper clearance to install certain programs. Gov't related, they had to come out and do certain things to my computer when I started well sub contract type work for them.
 
they had to come out and do certain things to my computer when I started well sub contract type work for them.
The distinction here is the verbiage and the reality.

Above you say "they...do certain things to my computer"

If that is, really a computer you purchased and own, then do whatever you like and make another phone call*. If it's in ANY manner of way their computer then you should budget buying another rig for this endeavor.

*it would likely behoove you to make this call ahead of taking current system down, such that you can work. This should go without saying but we are on the webz and all...;)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY