[SOLVED] Old Windows 10 partitions showing up at boot

McLovinHawaii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
I have just done a clean install switching from an older SSD to a new M.2. I have uninstalled the old Windows 10 partition and formattet all 3 drives. However when I boot up my PC I get to the screen where I have to choose which Windows partition I want to use. There's 4 in total and 3 of them are just there but not working. How do I remove those 3 "leftovers"?

Solution
Yes they were still connected. I've managed to remove two of the unwanted partitions using powershell but one is persistent and won't let go
Right.
And if you remove that last one...your system will no longer boot up.

This is one of the annoying issues with installing WIndows. You really really need to have only that one drive connected when you do the install.
Otherwise, the boot partition ends up on some other drive. And if that drive already has one, it just gets merged in, and you end up with a messy menu choice.

Since this is a brand new install, I'd just redo it.
Physically disconnect ALL other drives.
Install on the M.2
Later, reconnect those and delete partitions as needed...

USAFRet

Titan
Yes they were still connected. I've managed to remove two of the unwanted partitions using powershell but one is persistent and won't let go
Right.
And if you remove that last one...your system will no longer boot up.

This is one of the annoying issues with installing WIndows. You really really need to have only that one drive connected when you do the install.
Otherwise, the boot partition ends up on some other drive. And if that drive already has one, it just gets merged in, and you end up with a messy menu choice.

Since this is a brand new install, I'd just redo it.
Physically disconnect ALL other drives.
Install on the M.2
Later, reconnect those and delete partitions as needed.

Reactions: isamuelson
Solution