Old Xeons for next to nothing.

Junit151

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
I see on Ebay one can buy old (LGA 771) Xeons for next to nothing. Like $4 or so.

I can see how this would make sense as people working in IT can sometimes have a company offload like a hundred old servers onto them. They could part them out for some extra cash. 20 old Xeons at $5 each is $100, 100 Xeons is $500. And at that price they sell without issue.

Or is everything I just said not a real thing and these are just broken or fake. Let me know if any of you have any information.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/CPUs-Processors-/164/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=xeon+dual+core&_sop=15

(On a side note, my neighbor got a few old servers about a month ago and we looted all their HDDs. MUAHAHA THE STORAGE!!!:pt1cable:)

Solution
they wouldn't be fake, PC Parts loose their value really quick as they don't retain value. As soon as a PC Is a year old the value is far less then when you bought it. Those CPU's are old, and aren't very powerful ones either, No-one would buy them if they were expensive as they just aren't worth that much anymore....But CPU's rarely fail and last ages so they should be working fine.
they wouldn't be fake, PC Parts loose their value really quick as they don't retain value. As soon as a PC Is a year old the value is far less then when you bought it. Those CPU's are old, and aren't very powerful ones either, No-one would buy them if they were expensive as they just aren't worth that much anymore....But CPU's rarely fail and last ages so they should be working fine.

Solution

Junit151

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Some of the Socket 1366 quad cores look nice, not for server applications, but like for a NAS or something. They'd probably perform better than an Atom with their 8 threads (correct me if I am wrong, as always)

Sometimes it's more important to have a low power chip than a high performance chip. If I was building a NAS, I would choose the lower power part over the higher performance part, as I'm not using the CPU for crunching numbers, but I am paying for the amount of electricity the thing sucks down.

How many threads do you need to run an effective NAS? :)

chrisso

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
The hdd's you looted would either be scsi, or i.d.e. configuration.
The mean time before failure of a mechanical hard drive is 5 years.
Add 6 months because these were pro kit. Take into account the i.d.e's run at 133 meg bandwidth, as opposed to modern sata 6 gig per second and you start to realise you may actually lose money dumping this heavy metal content crap unless you bury it. A 1000 gig sata hdd costs under $50.

Junit151

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
True, true. The servers that we got in all had 32 bit pentium 4 chips... so yeah:p

What do you guys think about if I upgrade my rig with a new CPU and mobo about using an FX-6300 as a NAS? Could I turn down the clocks or maybe disable a few cores to reduce power usage and heat?

Junit151

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

500GB per HDD
3 HDDs per RAID card
4 RAID cards in one board
Now its a party! You do the math:wahoo:

It's not all about performance and efficiency. We are allowed to have a little fun every now and again right?

chrisso

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
What is a nas? 1366 cpu's were triple channel ram.
They are outperformed now in terms of watts, processing and price.
Computer spares (cpu's etc) hold there price until they are worthless.
New performance doubles per $ every five years. Old boards go out of production, leaving 1,000,000 cpu's in the world with no socket.
(intel hi end cpu's can last 50 years) Its morribund junk unless you live in the 3rd world.

chrisso

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
A reasonable raid card costs £100.
Yeah, you can have some fun with this old stuff, but a techie somewhere has already appraised it. It is no longer fit for service in a biz.
Must try on the fun front, even tho 6 yr old raid is slower than a $100 ssd.

Junit151

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

Pretty sure they were SATA 2 first gen consumer SSDs. I say "first gen consumer", even though they cost nearly as much as the enterprise ones that came out a year earlier :p

Junit151

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

PCI RAID cards, here's a photo of a spare one still hooked up to three IDE drives
fB8dOQa.jpg

chrisso

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
So the drives work at a max of 150 meg, tatalling a possible bandwidth of
0.45 gig / sec? O.K., you can 1/3rd the fastest possible access time, but its still pants next to a modern ssd, and its already shagged out? I personally couldnt be arsed . A techie has bined it, who am I to start building with it?