Question Older Computer will no longer post.

Axil00

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
I'm trying to make sure i'm reading the Q-codes correctly in my ~10yr/o system that no longer wants to post.

my Motherboard is a ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO Z97 ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 which provides displays the q-codes directly on the motherboard. When i attempt to power on the system the following numbers flash over the course of 5-6seconds, then the computer restarts and tries to boot again. At no time do i get a signal to the monitor.

00,15,16,00,21,33,35, 39, 40, 58,65,00

There seem to be additional codes flashing too fast for me to read as well. but the last code before it shuts itself down always seem to be 58, 65, 00. My understanding is that code 65 indicates a CPU problem. I'd be willing to replace the CPU if that would fix the problem but wanted advice on whether that's likely to work.

This problem started a week ok, resolved itself after i unplugged all the peripherals and plugged them back in. Then started happening again during a reboot.

I did read the pinned post about situations where this happens but that seemed to apply to a situation where this occurred after a new build or a hardware change. This PC worked fine for years, so i doubt something became randomly unseated, though if that's possible i could surely check.

Spec List:
Case: Corsair Carbide 500R
PSU: Rosewill Capstone series 550w 80 plus gold
Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO Z97 ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150
CPU: I7-4790K
GPU: MSI LIMITED GAMING Edition GeForce GTX 970 4GB OC
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - Blue (and another 2 sticks of 4 GB ram i can't remember the branding on. It was tested and worked for years, but could be an issue)
Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE (hate this thing, it's so big it has to be removed to touch the ram or GPU)
SSD: Samsung 850EVO 250gb
HDD: Seagate 3TB

Last edited:
I'm trying to make sure i'm reading the Q-codes correctly in my ~10yr/o system that no longer wants to post.

my Motherboard is a ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO Z97 ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 which provides displays the q-codes directly on the motherboard. When i attempt to power on the system the following numbers flash over the course of 5-6seconds, then the computer restarts and tries to boot again. At no time do i get a signal to the monitor.

00,15,16,00,21,33,35, 39, 40, 58,65,00

There seem to be additional codes flashing too fast for me to read as well. but the last code before it shuts itself down always seem to be 58, 65, 00. My understanding is that code 65 indicates a CPU problem. I'd be willing to replace the CPU if that would fix the problem but wanted advice on whether that's likely to work.

This problem started a week ok, resolved itself after i unplugged all the peripherals and plugged them back in. Then started happening again during a reboot.

I did read the pinned post about situations where this happens but that seemed to apply to a situation where this occurred after a new build or a hardware change. This PC worked fine for years, so i doubt something became randomly unseated, though if that's possible i could surely check.

Spec List:
Case: Corsair Carbide 500R
PSU: Rosewill Capstone series 550w 80 plus gold
Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO Z97 ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150
CPU: I7-4790K
Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE (hate this thing, it's so big it has to be removed to touch the ram or GPU)
SSD: Samsung 850EVO 250gb
HDD: Seagate 3TB
Remove the gpu and connect to the igp....test.

Axil00

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
You forgot to mention the make and model of your ram and your discrete GPU. As for your PSU, have you tied sourcing(borrow, not buy) a reliably built unit and tried power the system with the bare minimum parts(while breadboarded?
Unfortunately I have no access to parts i don't purchase, and no unused PSU's, so swapping parts isn't possible unless I buy new stuff. I also added the missing info, i knew i hadn't listed enough components but couldn't remember which i'd missed.
Remove the gpu and connect to the igp....test.
I'm willing to do this, but in that case is there a smaller (not too pricy) CPU cooler that is compatible with my rig you might recommend? I'll have to remove the cooler to remove the GPU and at that point i'd rather be able to test my RAM too without having to remove and replace the cooler block every time i change the ram configuration.