[SOLVED] Older FX 8350, best motherboard for it ?

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
I realise that the FX chips are old hat now, but my system is adequate for what I need and use the PC for, I play the odd old game, and do mainly video and music work, for which this system is more than sufficient.

But my motherboard (970A-UD3P) is probably the weakest link, and seeing that I can still get motherboards for AM3+ , I was wondering which one would be the best I can get for stability ?

Would I be right in thinking the 990 chipset is the best I could get, and if so, which are the best, most stable boards for running 32gb RAM , FX 8350 , and slightly overclocked. I also have an Radeon RX 580 in there with a Xonar Sound card. (Although on board sound would be OK for gaming ,I use external Audio Interface for music production)

I like Gigabyte boards, but would be open to anything that's tried and tested and respected.

Thanks in advance.

(Before anyone says i'd be better off upgrading to a Ryzen, I am aware of this, but 150 quid for a mobo vs 1200 quid for a new mobo/cpu/ram bundle ? )

Solution
chipset doesnt matter for stability, what matters here are power chokes used (power phase vrm)
gigabyte offers 8+2 vrm only (140watts)
so u may need something a bit better
this one has 12+2 vrm which can handle 220watts
chipset doesnt matter for stability, what matters here are power chokes used (power phase vrm)

Reactions: LeVzi
Solution

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017

OK that's cool, any ideas who I should be researching ? ASUS probably id assume ?

This seems like a huge waste of money. Likelyhood is you won’t see any benefit from the upgrade and if you do see a benefit from more overclocking potential it’s likely a small % that you gain and will only see improvement in benchmarks and not real world activity. I’d save your money until you are ready to upgrade to a new cpu/motherboard/RAM.

When you say better stability what do you mean? If you have a stability issue have you proved the motherboard is the problem.

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
This seems like a huge waste of money. Likelyhood is you won’t see any benefit from the upgrade and if you do see a benefit from more overclocking potential it’s likely a small % that you gain and will only see improvement in benchmarks and not real world activity. I’d save your money until you are ready to upgrade to a new cpu/motherboard/RAM.

When you say better stability what do you mean? If you have a stability issue have you proved the motherboard is the problem.

It's since I put 32gb RAM in it, it's a bit unstable, but does seem to be OK most of the time. And overclocking on my 970A UD3P is hit and miss.

Plus, if the motherboard fails, I will get the best I can for the money, upgrading is £1500 for me now, i'll jump the the best Ryzen I can afford. So it will be a loooong time before that happens, and who knows what will be around by then. I need to make this work for as long as I can.

My GA-990XA-UD3 (rev. 1.1) is still going strong for years with FX 8350 overclocked permanently to 4.8GHz.

That's good to hear, I like Gigabyte boards, and it's not too expensive. That's a good overclock to 4.8, what Voltage you running to get that ?

It's since I put 32gb RAM in it, it's a bit unstable, but does seem to be OK most of the time. And overclocking on my 970A UD3P is hit and miss.

Plus, if the motherboard fails, I will get the best I can for the money, upgrading is £1500 for me now, i'll jump the the best Ryzen I can afford. So it will be a loooong time before that happens, and who knows what will be around by then. I need to make this work for as long as I can.

That's good to hear, I like Gigabyte boards, and it's not too expensive. That's a good overclock to 4.8, what Voltage you running to get that ?
When you say you put 32GB RAM in does that mean you are mixing RAM bought separately?

TRENDING THREADS