Older System upgrade

Sep 3, 2018
[Moderator note: moved post to Graphics Cards.]

I have a Biostar TA790GXE 128M MB X64 Based. My processor is an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Mhz 4core 4 logical processors. How high up can I upgrade from my Nvidia GeForce 650Ti Boost GPU? I am running Windows 10, latest build. My 650 Ti Boost all of a sudden cannot handle the latest Sims 4 Seasons update, or Windows 10 up dates or Nvidia drivers. I can't tell what caused the issued. When I try to run my game in crashes my pc after 5 minutes.

Solution

If you are planning on replacing the system soonish, you may as well go with a higher end card (budget allowing of course). No need to spend money on a card now, then replacing it again soon. A 1060 6GB would be nice, or if you can wait a bit, new cards will be out soon from nVidia.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That is indeed an older system. DDR2 era. Still got one myself, along with a similar CPU...
The Phenom II X4 965 can easily handle the GTX 1050 Ti for a nice gain.
The RX 570/470 is another, faster choice and about max before CPU bottleneck begins to make it a waste of money. If your motherboard was designed for OC'ing, you could bump the CPU performance up a bit. But that board isn't one I'd do any serious OC'ing with.

A GTX 1050 is far better than your 650 Boost. So assuming you were more or less happy with your card. a 1050 would be enough. I'd only go as high as a 1050 Ti myself, I couldn't see spending over $200 for a videocard for that system, but you might feel different.

I'd solve the problem with your current card first. You might be having power supply issues. If it runs a game fine at first then crashes, maybe that's because the power supply is giving out under load. Or it could be temperatures going too high. Either way it's best to find out. It'd be a shame to replace the card and have the same issue.

Sep 3, 2018

Sep 3, 2018
Thank you so much for your quick input. It is a difficult decision to make. I built this system back in 2008 and I hate to part with it but you know how that goes.
I want to give her one last hurrah before my next build. I will check out the GTX 1050 Ti and a new PSU.

If you are planning on replacing the system soonish, you may as well go with a higher end card (budget allowing of course). No need to spend money on a card now, then replacing it again soon. A 1060 6GB would be nice, or if you can wait a bit, new cards will be out soon from nVidia.

Solution