[SOLVED] Oldies but goodies: GTX 1050 VS Firepro W5000

Klean9

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2015
I'm cleaning up a friends old computer that has a Firepro W5000 GPU, i2600K CPU and Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 mobo on a 1080p monitor. He plays games on it like Age of Empires, Empire Total War but also has older Fallout and HalfLife versions. I have an EVGA GTX 1050 GPU I'm not using and was thinking about giving it to him and replace his Firepro. Both cards seem to have pros and cons with the 1050 being a better gaming GPU. But for what he's playing on and with, I don't know how much of an advantage it would be. Suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Solution
If the system isn't being used for professional work, then you can swap the workstation GPU for the gaming pedigree GPU. Just be sure to remove your current drivers using DDU, prior to removing the W5000(when the system is powered down and disconnected from the wall/display). Install the latest Nvidia GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, after sourcing said drivers from Nvidia's support site.

Would help if you made sure your motherboard is on the latest BIOS version.

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to mention the make and model of your friend's prebuilt. To also add, please mention the make and model of the PSU as well it's age. Sure the GTX1050 might draw less power but an aged PSU might not be an ideal mix of parts for the build.

As a final note, the FirePro card is a workstation pedigree GPU which also leads me to ask what else your friend uses on his system...(professional work that puts food on the table/supports a roof)?

Reactions: Klean9

Klean9

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2015
Thanks for answering! This PC he bought from someone else. It's in an Antec DF-30 case. The PSU is a Corsair HX750. It has 16GB of Vengeance DDR3 RAM (1600MHZ). It is not used for work. The CPU is air cooled.

Lutfij

Titan
If the system isn't being used for professional work, then you can swap the workstation GPU for the gaming pedigree GPU. Just be sure to remove your current drivers using DDU, prior to removing the W5000(when the system is powered down and disconnected from the wall/display). Install the latest Nvidia GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, after sourcing said drivers from Nvidia's support site.

Would help if you made sure your motherboard is on the latest BIOS version.

Reactions: Klean9
Solution