Question OLED CX 48" vs 16:9 vs 21:9 - New RTX 3080 Build

Sep 29, 2020
I built a new RTX3080 Founders rig - got lucky and got one at $699.

NOTE: I do know about the LG OLED driver issue, my expectation is that will work out.

I have the OLED in hand, still in box - but I'm having second thoughts. Should I opt for one of these 16:9 or 21:9 curved displays?

I want all the bells/whistles - 4K, Refresh Rates, Low Latency, HDR Certification.

My concern with the 21:9 is that everything gets squished. The OLED seems ideal except for day to day. Would the optimum be an amazing 27" 16:9 + OLED for Gametime?

Any recommendations helpful.

To my mind, larger is better and more immersive for gaming.
But, I think once you get to 40" and larger, you need a curve to the monitor.
I use a philips 40" 4k flat screen monitor and I find that it is a bit difficult to see detail at the edges.
I find my monitor to be perfectly fine for normal desktop work and games.
I have a side monitor for email and performance apps.

Reactions: NeverSummerTP
Sep 29, 2020
To my mind, larger is better and more immersive for gaming.
But, I think once you get to 40" and larger, you need a curve to the monitor.
I use a philips 40" 4k flat screen monitor and I find that it is a bit difficult to see detail at the edges.
I find my monitor to be perfectly fine for normal desktop work and games.
I have a side monitor for email and performance apps.

Tested the OLED tonight ... yes GSync still broken. But setting to 4k/100HZ, the 3080 kept things right at 100FPS for Warzone/Gears5 - but not Flight Simulator, that clocked in a 56fps.

Think I'll keep the OLED since it's also a streaming tv.

Sep 29, 2020
New LG and NVIDIA drivers as of 10/8 auto-updated, but G-Synch still flickering.

I just keep the NVIDIA settings PC-4K/120hz w/ G-Synch off and things are working well.