Question OLED displays for general desktop- color correction

eco_bach

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
Need a recommendation for prosumer level 27" HDR monitor. At first was consideringstandard IPS LED models like the Dell u2723qe but research turns up a common problem with IPS monitors- backlight 'edge-bleeding' and vignetting in HDR mode.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/11nxa48/dell_has_serious_quality_control_issues_u2723qe/

So am switching to focus on OLED in the 27" size.
Just one model I am looking at is the LG UltraGear with a remarkable 240Hz refresh rate.
But after half a day of reading reviews now am wondering if I need to worry about common burn in issues and small text clarity with OLED, since this is for general desktop use and color correction?

eco_bach

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
I just got the alienware qd oled, i dont know if ultrawide fits in your size window but the text is not really an issue im noticing at all.... the picture is phenomenal and the response is crazy. i had an acer 4k ips that was roughly $1k and it was really good but yeah, ips backlight bleed is going to be on EVERY monitor to some degree. usually a "higher end" monitor wont be as bad as some, but this oled has 0 cause there is no backlight... be it an ultrawide it might be a bit big for your space, but i hear that lg oled is just as good.... a little bit inferior i hear from ratings, but i cant imagine much

I would argue the problem with the Alienware QD OLED display is that Windows doesn't know about its subpixel arrangement (which is a triangular RGB). This results in slight color fringing.

I've looked at one in person. It's probably not noticeable if you're playing a game or watching a movie, but if you're on the desktop, it's hard not to go "something looks off"