[SOLVED] Omen 15 2020 CPU Temps

Dec 21, 2020
AMD Ryzen 7 4800H
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
Corsair DDR4-3200 32GB RAM

Hi, new to PC gaming so bear with me! I've had my HP Omen 15 laptop for a few months now and I just want to check my temps are in the right range. When playing FS2020 on high settings for about an hour my average CPU temp is about 70c with max at about 95c, GPU max is about 70c, laptop in performance mode using the Omen centre. All temps checked using HWINFO with the CPU Tctl/Tdie value. Does this seem right?

Separate issue:
Another thing I had was the AC adapter gets super hot when gaming (I saw 80c using an IR temp gun). I contacted HP about this, they sent me a replacement which performed the same. In the end they said it was normal due to the power of the adapter and during gaming use. I tried to return/exchange it for a desktop PC but I was already out of my 30 day period and the complaints department said there was no actual fault with the adapter and closed the case. I guess it may just be down to the fact the power brick has a metal casing which is a stupid design, if you hold it by the plastic bit it's fine.

Thanks in advance for any help

Solution
AMD Ryzen 7 4800H
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

Hi, new to PC gaming so bear with me! I've had my HP Omen 15 laptop for a few months now and I just want to check my temps are in the right range. When playing FS2020 on high settings for about an hour my average CPU temp is about 70c with max at about 95c, GPU max is about 70c, laptop in performance mode using the Omen centre. All temps checked using HWINFO with the CPU Tctl/Tdie value. Does this seem right?

Separate issue:
Another thing I had was the AC adapter gets super hot when gaming (I saw 80c using an IR temp gun). I contacted HP about this, they sent me a replacement which performed the same. In the end they said it was normal due to the power of the...
AMD Ryzen 7 4800H
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

Separate issue:
Another thing I had was the AC adapter gets super hot when gaming (I saw 80c using an IR temp gun). I contacted HP about this, they sent me a replacement which performed the same. In the end they said it was normal due to the power of the adapter and during gaming use. I tried to return/exchange it for a desktop PC but I was already out of my 30 day period and the complaints department said there was no actual fault with the adapter and closed the case. I guess it may just be down to the fact the power brick has a metal casing which is a stupid design, if you hold it by the plastic bit it's fine.

Thanks in advance for any help

Short answer, yes! It's pretty normal specially in the Performance mode for Command Centre. Performance mode takes off all the PL1/PL2 restrictions on the CPU. This allows the CPU to run at full tilt. On my Omen with an I7 9750h on performance mode, my CPU will run at all core 4ghz and it's a beast. The downside is the noise and heat. Fans spin up to 100%.

Because Ive an Intel CPU, I can use Intel XTU and Throttlestop to undervolt the CPU. This reduces CPU temps, wattage/amps used. By doing so, the CPU can boost for longer and with less heat output.

It's slightly different for Ryzen. There is a new app for Ryzen laptop owners to do the same thing that Intel XTU/Throttlestop does. It's worth checking it out: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/r...ng-like-capabilities-for-ryzen-mobile-laptops It could benefit you. You could also look at a Laptop Cooling pad. They are very effective, and can bring temps down approx 5c depending on what one you purchase.

On the adaptor. Yes, they get hot. It is a 180w after all, in a tiny package. Hot is okay in this case.

Solution
No probs, glad to help :)

I have to admit, I love mine too :) It's a great gamer. Yes, my model came with a 512gb nvme boot drive. I added in a 960gb Adata ssd for my games etc.

It's really easy to upgrade parts, but only ssd and ram and m2/nvme.

I wanted to go for the Ryzen model myself, but sadly it wasn't in stock for 2 months, so I went with Intel.

If you are happy with the answers, you can close the thread out by selecting and answer as the solution.