Omron Switches Coming To New Das Keyboard X50, Branded As 'Gamma Zulu'

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
I honestly consider any non cherry key compatible keys for keyboards a non option.

Love my das keyboard, but would not buy one without cherry compatibility.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

So you like the keyboard but not the caps? Which DK board and which caps did you switch to? (Or are you just an aftermarket cap junkie. :D )

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

I have had VERY few keyboards where the caps stayed good after one year, much less the 5+ I normally use them for them, With a mechanical keyboard, I honestly think there is a good chance that I will die before the keys on this thing fail, so at some point I will need to get a new set of keys. Not being able to replace the keycaps in case they do go to hell is a non option for me due to the keyboard lasting so long.

Got to say though, very happy with my current keys, even though I have worn a few keys to the ooint they are shinny as glass, all the text and images are still present.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Interesting. Have you had success with PBT caps instead of ABS?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

no clue, been using a computer for I want to say 18 years, had 4 keyboards, one of which was a lemon out of the box.
first one came with the computer, it grew mold on it because no one in the family knew anything about computers, and by the time I learned key caps could be taken off safely, got a new computer with a keyboard, that I used for the better part of 9 years, you could see where my hands were usually positioned by where the paint wore off, and what keys I used the most by how shiny they were, one I think wore through the plastic entirely in an area. Then I want to say a year or two ago got a das professional before they put in the volume wheel.

sadly it was also around that time that typing became a bit painful,sometimes its 2000 characters, sometimes I can get a lot more before something hurts.

Once I get my next computer with more ram, going to switch back over to using dragon naturally speaking again, so the keyboard will find limited use outside of wasdefx arrows page up and page down

whatever the das keys were made out of at that time, going to say they were great, though there is a cut out on the space bar, a fairly large spider got under my keys, then crawled down and is now inside the keyboard, stuffed it with kleenex and it can starve to death, really the only complaint I have about the keyboard.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

My friend, that is one zany post. Holy cow!

If you're experiencing pain while typing, have you looked into a keyboard like the ErgoDox?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

Nah, really it's not just while typing its just one of the areas that can trigger one of the symptoms, I narrowed down the other to gripping things. Last time I had it looked at 'tendonitis' and I have pretty much accepted that isn't going away, and without assistance I can't afford insurance and with my living situation don't really, cant really get free/cheap care either so can't really go get it looked at anymore.

but yea, the joys of looking up one night, seeing a fairly big spider, the spider deciding that moment to let go, hit my keys and crawl underneath. Will never buy a keyboard again without seeing what it looks like without its keys because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.