Question On-board sound adapter seems to be dead after GPU installation ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Hi guys.
I was using my new PC via displayport on motherboard (Z690-f strix) and sound card was working normally (Realtek audio console).
I did installed graphics card to motherboard, turned on the PC and noticed in lower right corner red X on sound.
Windows installed display drivers automatically, but still I don't see any device except nVidia High definiton audio.
I reinstalled audio drivers, no luck.
There is no even sound card in device manager and when lauching realtek audio console I get an error:
"Realtek Audio Console doesn't support for this machine.
But it was working normally prior to graphics card installation,
What happened,what to do?
So now even when I removed the graphics card, sound card is dead.
What coild possibly kill some electronic component on PCB around sound chip?
PC was off the current all the time when GPU installed, I even plugged off DP cable.

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
I am still thinking about it.It is like trauma to me.
And coincidece is that same guy is selling same MoBo for 200 euros.
And I am totally insane, thinking about buying same MoBo just becauase onboard audio is dead.

I installed graphics card the most safest way.
I dunno what potential mistake I made, there were no mistakes.
If screw fell onto MoBo I would tell ya.
If I touched smth that I should not I would tell ya.
So no reason for sound not to work except that smth happened beyond my knowledge.
Who even knows if this was cause.
I'm sure I have dropped screws on motherboards plenty of times, it shouldn't cause damage or a short if there is no power connected to the motherboard. I know someone who killed a motherboard trying to install ram, I think he forgot to discharge static beforehand. I had a spare board then, so I fixed it for him.

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
I'm sure I have dropped screws on motherboards plenty of times, it shouldn't cause damage or a short if there is no power connected to the motherboard. I know someone who killed a motherboard trying to install ram, I think he forgot to discharge static beforehand. I had a spare board then, so I fixed it for him.
Then how to hell I could damage onboard sound card???I used all neccessary safety measurements before it.
I did not install while PC is plugged into socket at all.
I discharged myself touching big metal heat radiator.
When I installed graphics card, maybe I pushed a bit harder the graphics card.
I turned on the PC and saw X on sound i bottom roght corner.
That is it, tried everything and conclusion is that it is dead.

Then how to hell I could damage onboard sound card???I used all neccessary safety measurements before it.
I did not install while PC is plugged into socket at all.
I discharged myself touching big metal heat radiator.
When I installed graphics card, maybe I pushed a bit harder the graphics card.
I turned on the PC and saw X on sound i bottom roght corner.
That is it, tried everything and conclusion is that it is dead.
I don't think you damaged it, stuff breaks sometimes, don't worry about it it is just an onboard sound chip. Either RMA the board or buy a sound card and the problem is solved.