Question On my third i9 13900k - I've just upgraded my BIOS to the 0x12B patch. Would this be enough to fix the degrading CPUs?

p1xel8or

Prominent
Aug 31, 2023
I'm asking this because a couple of people online are saying that 0x12B patch isn't enough and you need to manually undervolt/change some settings in the BIOS. To be frank, all of that sounded a bit too technical for me, so I'd rather not mess around in the BIOS settings and brick my PC.

p1xel8or

Prominent
Aug 31, 2023
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, mode, watttage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Attached peripherals?

Primary use of PC?
Sorry, should've included it.

Specs:
MBD: GIGABYTE Z790 UD AX
CPU: i9-13900K
GPU: RTX 4090
RAM: 32GB RAM
Storage: 500GB SSD/1TB SSD/4TB HDD
PSU: EVGA 1300 GT 80 GOLD

All new parts, no refurbished ones. Primary use is gaming. No extra attached peripherals. Purchased on April 2023. Windows 11 Home OS.

Last edited:

p1xel8or

Prominent
Aug 31, 2023
What are the qualifications of "a couple of people" ??
How do they compare to the qualifications of Intel engineers.
Conspiracy theorists say you can't trust Intel.
But.. then who can you trust?
I've read how it is a voltage issue, and even after the BIOS update the voltage was exceeding the safe limit. So I got a little paranoid.

Sep 17, 2024
It's going to depend on your motherboard because the AC DC LL values on "Intel defaults" with every BIOS update seems to change causing different voltage ranges on CPUs. You're going to have to bench the CPU under the new BIOS to see if it's affected the performance or not. Personally on a MSI board, when I look at the launch BIOSs, "Intel Default" used to be LLC Mode 8, now they are Mode 16 on 0x129. Which means the voltages are up about a good 80mv or so across the board. So this required me to manually change it down to a lower mode to get the old voltage curves and claw back some of that lost performance.

p1xel8or

Prominent
Aug 31, 2023
September 9, 2024 Intel published the official response to the 13/14 gen issues:
https://community.intel.com/t5/Blog...n-Desktop-Instability-Root-Cause/post/1633239

Your motherboard
needs the F12 bios for the fix:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z790-UD-AX/support#support-dl-bios
Thanks, I did upgrade to the F12 bios the moment I got the new CPU and put the "Intel Default Setting" to Performance. After this I should be good right?

Also I've another question - I cannot disable "Multicore Enhancement" in BIOS if the Intel Default Settings are chosen. Should I temporarily disable it, disable the Multicore Enhancement option and turn the Intel setting back on again? Or does the Intel Setting override it?

TRENDING THREADS