On & off bottlenecking

Jun 19, 2018
When playing games (Specifically Rainbow Six Siege) I am bottlenecking, but it doesn't happen constantly, it will go from 60% CPU usage immediately to 100%, dropping my FPS significantly. And its not like the situation changes on the screen like an explosion or something, it just happens randomly. I've tried virtually everything to try and fix it but nothing works.

Note: This started happening when I got a new SSD and moved windows and rainbow to it.

FX 8350 4.0Ghz
Asus Gtx 760
M5A97 LE R2.0
EVGA 500w PSU
Crucial MX500 250gb SSD

Jun 14, 2018

Have you tried to apply new thermal paste? It could be that your processor is overheating and needs new thermal paste.

Jun 19, 2018

Also applied new thermal paste, thermals isn't the problem, it doesn't hit or go above 60c

Jun 14, 2018

I'm pretty sure it's a CPU issue. If you have two monitors could you put task manager on the other side and have it on performance tab over the CPU and watch the speed when you get the lag/frame drop?

Also, side note, this isn't bottlenecking. Nothing in your system is bottlenecking anything.

I am assuming you have Windows 10. You have given quite a vague detail of your system, so I'm going off assumptions. If you do not have Windows 10, you could download HW Monitor and watch for the minimum CPU core speed. It's much easier if you don't have dual screen also.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
IIRC 60 C is around the limit for AMD FX CPUs. You could try using AMD overdrive to monitor temps, it reports thermal margin (distance from throttling temp), and is the most accurate utility for monitoring FX CPU temps IIRC.

But you also have a low end motherboard without heatsinks on the VRMs, it's probably struggling to power a 125W chip like the 8350. Could be resulting in throttling.

Jun 19, 2018

Don't have dual monitors and yes windows 10

Jun 19, 2018

The mobo heats up pretty bad your right, if possible how could I fix that?

Jun 14, 2018

Could you download HWMonitor by CPUID and have it run in the background and play a mission or game and then after that game look at the core speeds and see what the min was?

Jun 19, 2018

Oh damn, the minimum hits 1507 Mhz, and the max for all cores hits 100%

Jun 14, 2018

Yeah, it's definitely your CPU like I thought. This happened to my friend. I think your CPU is done. I have not found a solution to this. I've seen this online, as well as, on other forums. No one has a solution to this yet. You may need a new CPU.

Side solutions are to get a new 8350, 8370E, or 8320E, that is if you want to stay with FX.

I recommend moving to Intel or new Ryzen chips. If you go with Intel, it could be cheaper if you get the older processor and motherboards. If you stay with FX you just need to just replace the CPU, which is the cheapest option.

I would not suspect the CPU as the issue, but more so the motherboard.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Other than getting a new mobo (I wouldn't recommend sinking more money into a dead platform like AM3+), your options are:
-Get some VRM heatsinks, e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Enzotech-MOS-C10-Forged-Copper-Heatsinks/dp/B004CL89D8

-Try to improve airflow over the VRMs. You could try getting a spot cooling fan pointing at your VRMs, e.g. https://www.amazon.ca/Antec-Spot-Cool-Case-Cooling/dp/B000I5KSNQ
This can also sometimes be accomplished with a CPU heatsink that blows downwards (towards the mobo).

-Underclocking/undervolting your CPU a bit to reduce power draw.

You can also make sure you have sufficient overall case airflow by adding more case fans.

Jun 19, 2018

My brother has the exact same rig, but his CPU is much less used. I Replaced his CPU with mine to see if there was a difference, there wasn't.

Jun 14, 2018

Borrow your brother's PSU and see if that helps? I thought it was CPU. I am not sure what it could be. Maybe it's the power problem.

I wouldn't waste my time swapping PSUs. 9/10 times someone has an issue with their FX-8350 throttling down while gaming it's because the motherboard VRMs are overheating on a rather cheap motherboard; that is if the CPU itself is not overheating due to improper CPU cooling.

Jun 14, 2018

Yeah, kind of, out of ideas. So yeah, probably not PSU either, but worth a try to see if it is it or not. I was thinking motherboard, but I own this one and mines fine. Then again not all parts are created equal. So it could be the motherboard. That was my next thought, after the PSU.

I believe he has a sufficient enough cooling? I am not sure. Just assuming.