On The Bench: Corsair's HS1 USB Gaming Headset

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]the least they cudda done was measure the accuracy of the sound... im not too big of a fan of the 'multiple direction' audio because its usually jsut a gimmick[/citation]
You head in 'multiple direction' and yet you only have 2 ears =p think before you bash something. All surround sound is emulated at minimum you only need 2 channels one for each ear. Science in all the glory that it is mapped the frequency responses that give our the ability to tell where a sound is coming from. With that companies have derived many of formulas for mimicking them. A Surround headset is just one that is tuned to such the occasion, a good one will support converting a 5.1 or 7.1 channel input into w.e output they need.

Want to know what a gimmick is, go to audiophiles with their denouncement of double blind studies on hearing and ask what they think is good equipment.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I can't say enough that the people who really know what they are doing buy *real* headphones (e.g. sony, sennheiser, at, akg, etc etc) and use a separate microphone. Don't waste your time with these fake surround sound, over-hyped bass, and cram everything into the mid range headphones that every "gaming" headset really is.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]agnickolov[/nom]No technical data provided here, so I had to look it up on Corsair's web site. The dynamic range is 20Hz-20kHz, which is a very solid showing in contrast to all the other sub-par gaming headsets reviewed here on Tom's Hardware. However, it's still no match to a professional gaming headset like the Sennheiser PC 350 (10Hz-26kHz). I couldn't find HD 580 on Sennheiser's web site (discontinued I suppose), but the updated model HD 600 has a dynamic range of 12Hz-39kHz, so it's a different ball game again. In the author's defense, it's very hard to discern audio quality differences beyond 20kHz and many humans cannot do that.I'd say for its price of $100, this headset is a great value. For comparison, the MSRP for the Sennheiser PC 350 is $250, while it can be found online starting at $125.[/citation]
Dynamic range has nothing to do with audio quality. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Besides, most people can't even hear below 20 hz or above 20 khz.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]7amood[/nom]I see no graph... just words describing what the reviewer feel.I only see general pictures of the headphones...this is not the quality review i'm used to see from tom's...total disappointment, but still interested in the headphone.[/citation]
How do you graph audio quality?
Audio reproduction is extremely subjective.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]doomsdaydave11[/nom]How do you graph audio quality?Audio reproduction is extremely subjective.[/citation]

You do what HeadFi does. You get a manikin head with 2 microphones for ears and measure the frequency response of the headphones when given pure tones.

Status
Not open for further replies.