phayzfaustyn

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2002
I am looking into the purchase of a KT400 based board, most notably the SOYO Dragon Ultra, and I am wondering if anyone knows how good the onboard audio is. It says that it has 5.1 channel audio, but does it perform well? Is it worth the purchase of a midlevel sound card to supplant the audio capabilities? Like an under $100 card?

Thanks for any assistance.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
<font color=red> CMedia seems to have found itself a very solid place in the onboard sound market. The sound is MUCH clearer and of better quality than the AC'97 by Realtek and Alance. </font color=red>

<A HREF="http://www.sudhian.com/docs.cfm/id/120/pid/466.sud" target="_new">here</A>

I havent heard it myself. I understand that unless you are a really fussy audiophile then these onboard chips do absolutely fine for gaming and listening to the odd tune. I'd be more inclined to make sure i had nice speakers.

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

fomalhaut

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2002
You wouldn't expect much from a humble AC97 codec, but it will get the job done. I can hear a small noise in my MSI KT3 Ultra2 integrated sound, but it's just noticeable when playing at very low volumes.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
the soyo board has the CMI (CMedia) audio chip.
I think the board ships as standard with connectors for 4 channel sound, but a bracket can be bought to upgrade to 5.1. It might be worth checking that this cable comes with the board.

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>