Onboard Intel 4600 audio over HDMI not working?

Someguitarist86

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Is there an obvious setting for this that I'm missing? I have an Xb270HU attatched to 980 Ti that doesn't have audio. I also have a VH236 attached to the integrated graphics to run a desktop environment and for sound. If I plug the VH 236 into the Nvidia card and hit 'Enable Audio over HDMI', it works flawlessly. I'd like to run it off of the integrated though to save that extra bit of juice since I'm trying to hit 1440p 144hz on the primary monitor. I've searched a hundred help tickets and not been able to find anything! I've reinstalled the drivers for everything, updated everything, and under 'Playback Options' I have a Digital Audio (HDMI) that says 'Not Plugged In'.

Any advice? (Sidenote; onboard audio doesn't work on my mobo, unfortunately. Entirely difference issue, but lets just set that one aside for now)

Someguitarist86

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Jesus, I found the answer immediately after posting after searching for like two days. In case anyone else has this issue, check and see if you have a 'Intel (R) Display Audio Driver'. For some reason, it fails to install with all my mobo drivers and default drivers. Go and grab the latest Intel 4600 video drivers *plus* their Integris shinanigins or whatever it's called, and it'll install the missing 'Display Audio' driver!

Someguitarist86

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Gorz, are you saying that it doesn't take any extra processing power to run an extra 1080p monitor? I'd have to believe that it would, although I've been known to be wrong. The 980Ti connects to the Acer with a displayport, which doesn't contain audio information. HDMI is not available at 1440p 144hz. So I need to run my old monitor over HDMI in order to get any audio. Pushing an extra 1080p monitor surely takes some extra power! And when playing Witcher 3 and shooting for 1440p at the highest framerate possible every extra bit counts.

But now I've got that 1080p running off of the Intel HD 4600, and I can get my audio from there.