Onboard Lan Issuse

Chan-man

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
A customer Brought in an HP S5713W slimline desktop computer with lan issues. All they said was it won't connect to the internet. I've been trying different things but i've gotten nowhere. I checked the bios and its enabled and ive tried three separate drivers and they all pull up this error when done.

Original NVIDIA Networking Controller Driver
"your system does not meet the minimum system requirements for this update. Update has been cancelled. (9996)"

I thought that realtek was supposed to be on these computers but maybe i'm wrong. Can anyone help?

Solution

If there is no device showing then the system isn't detecting any Ethernet adapter. So the chip on the motherboard must be fried you'll have to add and pci-e or usb adapter.
So...........what happens when you plug in an Ethernet cable?
Does it connect to lan just fine, but just wont connect to website? Does it act like a cable is not even pluged in? does it try to connect to lan but cant get an IP address?
'
Have you looked at info from ipconfig, tried tracert or nslookup?

Chan-man

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

it doesn't do anything just says no networks could be found. not even lan.

Saberus

Distinguished
Might have a bad NIC. If it's under warranty, you might have to RMA.

I am assuming that you downloaded the drivers from HP's site that HP said will work for the NIC. (Taken from your statement about trying three different drivers.)

You are right about the NIC being a Realtek chip, but it looks like the motherboard chipset is made by nVidia, hence the nVidia driver.

Might be a corrupted driver issue have you tried to restart it and see if it works afterwards. In other words you boot up and arrive at the desktop with the lan driver error. Don't do anything just select restart off the shut down menu and see if the LAN works after you restart.

Chan-man

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

it's windows 7 Home Premium

I'm trying to download that driver but the page won't stop reloading when i try to download it.

I just installed GeForce 309.08 driver - WHQL

When i trouble shoot the connection it just says "install a driver for your network adapter" "windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver."

Try this driver. I assume it's windows 7 32 bit. Windows 7 is essentially windows vista with Service pack 3. Unfortunately Nvidia only goes up to Vista on this driver. I am surprised it didn't just work. Windows has added a lot of native support for older hardware.

Does it have a pci slot? Just toss in a NIC card.
You can also use a usb/pci network controller so you can run windows update. Sometimes it finds drivers that are hard to find. I once found a creative driver using windows update, that i couldn't find anywhere.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/6634/en-us

Chan-man

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

It does have a pci slot but in the slimline case it can't be used at all. it's under the power supply. It's 64 bit also. I ran a windows update and i'm running another one right now. I'm using a usb stick for over wifi.

Chan-man

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

I installed that and i'm working on doing more and more windows updates and still nothing but there is one optional update that just wont succeed "nvidia - display - nvidia GeForce 6150 nForce 430" isn't that the same chipset yall said is for my ethernet? It says it's for display am i missing something? I'm just trying to state everything that could possibly be an issue.

I would install that.

Chan-man

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

ive tried to get it to install 5 times it won't it just fails. can i install it manually?

Chan-man

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

Ok well i don't know how to uninstall a driver when the ethernet controller isn't in the device manager at all. the only thing that shows up there is the usb stick for wifi. you could also text that number if you wanted to take it out of here and go quicker but it's up to you.

Chan-man

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

I installed this one today.
nvidia graphics driver 309.08

i installed this one yesterday
realtek ethernet controller all-in-one windows driver.

theres also another one that was installed today but it must have been part of a package its entitled
NVIDIA Drivers